There's only 2 scratch DJs that I enjoy listening to in 2015

Steve

I'm a big fan of Woody, but mostly for his battle sets, musical stuff (like that video Vekked linked to), and mixes. He's one of the most creative turntablists out there, but I don't think I would listen to a 30-60 minute scratch tape of him just freestyle scratching, which is kinda what I mean when I say "there's only a couple of scratch DJs I enjoy listening to".

I'm a big fan of Woody, but mostly for his battle sets, musical stuff (like that video Vekked linked to), and mixes. He's one of the most creative turntablists out there, but I don't think I would listen to a 30-60 minute scratch tape of him just freestyle scratching, which is kinda what I mean when I say "there's only a couple of scratch DJs I enjoy listening to".

I kinda feel you here. I love me some good freestyle cuts but as time goes on there are fewer and fewer DJs who I'm excited to hear freestyle ahh. Like to me freestyle scratching and technique and stuff is like maybe 25% of turntablism but 95% of turntablist content is freestyle scratching right now...

Which is why Woody is basically my favourite turntablist right now, because he drops some freestyle cuts sometimes, some straight technique stuff, some gimmicks, some music. He keeps it interesting to the point where I wanna watch all his videos. And he's active... Obv D-Styles is the gawd but he hasn't done much recently, hoping that Phantazmagorea 2 is a real thing.

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

Yeah I'm loving Woody's output at the moment. His video sets are sick, the random routines he puts up on the net are tight as piss, and even his little 15 second "hey look at this idea I had" videos are inspiring. Hell of a nice guy too.

Shame all that drama with the C1 soured him on using it for years, he's had the best output of anyone using it.

• Like 2

Shame all that drama with the C1 soured him on using it for years, he's had the best output of anyone using it.

I didn't realise it went that far.

A bit ironic that the person who shouted the loudest about how it should be used, never really utilised it IMO. Still... I'm sure the world's a better place with a third rate Jan Hammer in it.

Guest rasteri

I didn't wanna pry too much because it was obviously still a sore subject for him. Apparently his C1 just sat in a flight case for years and he's only recently started to use it again. Long may it continue though!

• 1 month later...
Guest broke

I'm a big fan of R-Ash's style.

Cavern was great, he had that swing flare drumming video that Q-Bert eventually re-posted. I think once Q-Bert's loving your stuff you can probably retire.

I'm a big fan of R-Ash's style.

Cavern was great, he had that swing flare drumming video that Q-Bert eventually re-posted. I think once Q-Bert's loving your stuff you can probably retire.

I clicked that link and ended up watching the "I Own You" music video from there. Somebody needs to tell this guy that videos of crackalacks bossing around black women and then having sex with them while saying "I own you" is so 1800s. This guy is pretty much the Thomas Jefferson of scratching.

• Like 2