Feedback on track

d00ban

Hello Doob master flex here.

Been a while since I worked on any music... Think it's coz I had to settle in to new country and all that, plus I had no monitors. Any who I got some new headphones recently and been making stuff again.

I done made this track, could you please listen and let me know what you think? I guess from a technical point of view more than any thing because obviously it might not be to everyone's taste. I'm quite proud though as I didn't sample any thing, which I usually do to make beats.

I'm aware it's got no real ending (which is easily fixed)... And I wish I could get the bottom end to come out sweeter in the mix but dunno how to get that.

Huzzah

https://soundcloud.com/forayem/dooban-tek-nine?in=forayem/sets/demos

• Like 3

Sup Doobs,

I like that you've got lots of layers and detail in the track.

It sounded a touch bright on my Mackie's, particularly with the hats standing out so much and the snare being a bit toppy, but the levels of each sound sat well together in the mix. It's probably your headphones making you over compensate the higher frequencies? (or my bad judgement lol)

As for low end, perhaps add some tube distortion to the bass. It sounds like a nice bass noise, almost a mix between a live bass and a sub, but the lower frequencies are not as powerful as they could be. It could even sound nice if you just layered the bass you have with a clean sub from massive.

Much love

I like the unpredictability of the main rift. Agree with eric bout the highs being bit bright but that can be sorted at mastering stage. In a way it gives the highs a bit of charecter because they do stand out but I like that. Im no expert when it comes to making traks but when I do I usually use a cheap midi seeing as most peeps listen on one and sometimes I test em in the car and finally in da club. If they pass them three tests they go into a folder with the rest of the shite ive done. Overall though I like the elements in the track. Including the voice in the bridge section.

It sounded a touch bright on my Mackie's, particularly with the hats standing out so much and the snare being a bit toppy, but the levels of each sound sat well together in the mix.

I'd agree with that. I think it sounds decent though, from a technical perspective. I like it too.

Awesome sauce!

Thanks guys.

Yeah guess I've got to get used to the limitations of my new head phones... they're better than nothing but still a bit weird to mix on.

Actually Eric I've already got a sine wave in there as a sub... may be I EQ'd it out too much though.

Cheers fellas, a massive help as always

Good stuff doobs.

I concur with the others... a little too much high end (maybe a slight roll-off round 10k would help?), it just robs the track of a little bit of overall lushness that the rest of the sounds provide. And yes, a tiny bit light on the low bass - you've got the kicks raised up a bit to make room for it, but not enough coming through in the mix. Perversely, a bit more bottom end in the kicks too might help trick the ear into hearing a thicker bottom end, although you might need to sidechain quite hard with sub if you raise that up in the mix too.

The only other two things I'd tweak (more out of personal preference than being 'wrong') are the snare rolls in the intro are little proud for my tastes - maybe try a little less volume, tiny bit more reverb and maybe user a transient shaper to reduce the attack slightly?. Also at 1:20ish where it drops into the different solo/melody sound, you've stripped back the rest of the beat a bit and then built it back up, but I think you could push it further... you never know until you try, so I could be talking total shite here, but I think you could almost strip it back to just bass/drums/lead melody and hold off a bit longer before you bring in the others pads and sounds. Or if that's no good, maybe strip back the drums a bit further or something? Just stabs in dark really but I think that moment could be made more of by being a bit more dramatic.

As ever, I'm no expert so feel free to ignore my ramblings. Oh, and perceiver with the headphones. You're always gonna need to cross reference their results on some different speakers but the more you get to know them, the easier and closer it will get.

Guest Symatic

nice work dude! yeah sorry to beat it to death but yeah its pretty bright on the snares and the main synth lead....

my advice on the lead would be to have a few of the notes drop up or down an octave every once in a while to give it more of a sense of variation and so it covers more range.

If it was my track i'd distort the synth a tiny bit too but thats my preference, you're style is normally a lot cleaner than mine anyway.

sick though man, more beats please :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I done made another beat.

This one was for like a sample slip thing competition (just for fun you don't win any thing). This was the orig sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJD0i-iQdo

Here's the beat I made. Listening back the bassline sucks a bit but I had to rush that because of the deadline (missed it any way!).

https://soundcloud.com/forayem/dadumda?in=forayem/sets/demos

Again feedback would be appreciated... I've not put this through Ozone or any thing, just bunged a simple Ableton mastering effects chain on for now.

Thanks kimbly, that's awesome feedback :)

It's a bit of a weird track to be honest, it's got like 3 different piano bits going on but I thought it sounded ok so left it. Listening back to it now I'm wondering if there's too much going on though.

• 1 month later...

For your First beat i liked melody a lot! and the lush sounds all around!

Your second beat is super sick! i love the way you chopped those vocals! i don't see how you don't have more plays!!

and like your 3rd beat, very smooth! did you make that synth on your own?!

Guest petesasqwax

man, I always dig your stuff. It's so far from anything I could ever imagine doing myself, but it still tickles my sensibilities all the same. I like that a lot. My only feedback is that on this last one the sidechaining makes me feel a bit like motion sickness in my headphones

• 2 weeks later...

So I posted in Aurotec's thread the other day like a speng.

Any way here is my latest bull shit.

https://soundcloud.com/forayem/youth-lost?in=forayem/sets/demos

https://soundcloud.com/forayem/havoc?in=forayem/sets/demos

https://soundcloud.com/forayem/vibez?in=forayem/sets/demos

The last one needs to be finished really, prob gonna give Kutclasses suggestion from the other thread a go when i get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not strictly my cup of tea, but I think you've done it well. Sounds like something you might hear used in a film or tv series to me... don't ask me why though. Sometimes it's really liberating to make music outside of your usual style, like there's no pressure to get it right and you can just have fun with it.

I trust that all you energies have now been diverted to making your entry for the DV scratch beat battle?

• 3 weeks later...