Intelligent Save As

doppelkorn

I would have thought this might exist by now, but it would be cool if programs could detect where I might like to save something, based on the content of the file.

At work I have a pretty complex folder structure on the network and each job is named after that customer, so you'd think if I'm downloading a file from the net/Outlook with keywords that match stuff in those folder it would suggest where to save it, rather than reverting to the default "last place you saved something" folder.

It could give you a box that suggests the five or ten most likely locations you would save that file, based on your previous activity.

I told you I was quiet today.

It depends on the browse you use, but if you use IE, you get the "tree" on the left in the save dialogue that shows locations, including Favourites, so you can add the locations you want to your faves and you can select one with a click and then save the file there.

Yeah that's useful and I use that for my core folders but because we have so many jobs coming and going it would be good to have this magic Save As.

Same applies to Office programs too. If you open an attachment from an email where the email names the customer in the subject, and the document title includes something about the customer, you'd think it could learn where to put those documents when you F12 them...

Yeah those Outlook rules are OK but not great because I have a similar but not identical folder structure for emails. I didn't set it up and it's shared between loads of people so it gets messy from time to time

So also in Outlook I have emails come in to my inbox and I might want to read them then move them to a folder. Outlook has a useful MOVE button on the main ribbon and even gives you 10 options but I don;t know how it picks those options. Perhaps the most recent 10 folders you've moved something too.

Example. Email came in last night which I need to file away until tomorrow. It's the same email I get every week from someone in Singapore (work related) with the exact same subject line, just a different week. You'd think it would suggest me moving it to where I've moved every email from her for the last three years...

What a fucking dull subject.

Our work network drives are a mess so I resort to searching for finding other people's crap. If your file system and file names have clear naming rules I guess you could write some VBScript or something similar to organise it all (i.e. dump everything in a temp location and then script the moving).