Walking OG Flares

ericuk

Love the walking flare. Wish I could find a copy of Cadence with Rhythm and Flow. Once we start getting into 12 note patterns is where people start to lose me. I mean, I get the pattern and I could practice it and get it down, but part of me feels like its tedious practice to pull off a pattern I'd rarely use. Once you get into all the long multi-click plattens I'm pretty much just free-flowing and I'm paying attention to the sounds with the fader and record stuff on autopilot but pretty much just stringing together shorter combos. Am I missing out here doods? Am I damping my steez by not buckling down? Are all you super crazy technical cats all doing 12 and 16 note combos?

You're right about practicing just to pull off a pattern you'll rarely use, but what I discovered is that in learning some of these combos, I learned how to transition between some shorter techniques that I'd never thought of combining, which helped my overall flow.

• Like 2

I'm all for learning combos, for example I can take a combo and vary it to make something more musically structured.

E.g do a 1 bar combo, then do a variant then do the first combo again and then do a different variant. Already it sounds a lot more musical and more entertaining to the lamen ear. I think subconsciously I'm always cutting with method behind the madness, even when I get all random there's still structure to it. I think that's the essence of good flow when you can hear the structure in the unstructured, like making shapes from clouds sorta thing ???

Also I bin learning a combo with a reverse baby at the end of the sample one clicked and I find that particular part of the combo challenging, but constantly knocking that combo out will improve my mirrored one click, so they benefit your scratch repertoire also.

Another good thing I find about combos and I've always had this mindset is when you perform anywhere and u first get on your hands ain't quite warm or it's a new club and your feeling a little apprehensive it's good to have a few tried and trusted combos u can smash out without thinking.

I've always offered the same advice to djs I've taught to mix have your first few tracks worked out just to get past the nervey stage till u find your feet, I guarantee once you see positive feedback from the crowd it's like u get turbo boost then your good shit just flows out.

• 1 month later...

I'm all for learning combos, for example I can take a combo and vary it to make something more musically structured.

E.g do a 1 bar combo, then do a variant then do the first combo again and then do a different variant. Already it sounds a lot more musical and more entertaining to the lamen ear. I think subconsciously I'm always cutting with method behind the madness, even when I get all random there's still structure to it. I think that's the essence of good flow when you can hear the structure in the unstructured, like making shapes from clouds sorta thing ???

Also I bin learning a combo with a reverse baby at the end of the sample one clicked and I find that particular part of the combo challenging, but constantly knocking that combo out will improve my mirrored one click, so they benefit your scratch repertoire also.

Another good thing I find about combos and I've always had this mindset is when you perform anywhere and u first get on your hands ain't quite warm or it's a new club and your feeling a little apprehensive it's good to have a few tried and trusted combos u can smash out without thinking.

I've always offered the same advice to djs I've taught to mix have your first few tracks worked out just to get past the nervey stage till u find your feet, I guarantee once you see positive feedback from the crowd it's like u get turbo boost then your good shit just flows out.

I agree with you, etch combo that you master (scratches that ar in your muscule memory at double time and at different bpms) adds to your over all flow, cause the point of the combo isnt to repeat the combo identical every time you bust it.

having a combo in your muscle memory gives you an opportunity to connect that new combo with other scratches in your repertoire, and the adjustments you made to lern that particular new combo always give you added knowledge to other scratches you already masterd.

I have had the case wher I lerned a combo that was similar to another combo i already knew, and it messed me up being able to double time the older combo..