Walking OG Flares

ericuk

Guest Symatic

noice one eric... thanks for the promo :) a gold helicopter full of playmates of the year is flying your way now :)

the walking thing is relly cool, ive been learning a few ways to travel forwards and backwards through syllables using flare and autobahn type fader techniques to pick out different stressed bits of the scratch.

i like that this technique has a clear pitch variation to break it up, with the differences in speed you do the pull backs

• Like 1

nice... guffah... that camera angle....

always thought the flare was 4 sounds. So from what i gather in your video the OG flare is 3. Cut the forward in two and pull back for the third. And the walking OG flare would be cut the forward in to two and the first pull back is halved and then repeat with the OG flare.

Am I correct? Will try it this week. Sounds wicked with the sample. Used the RCF last week at my buddies. Need to buy one now. Or maybe Symatic could toss me a bone ;)

• Like 1

Sorry Acts 1 , you're right - the angle is bollocks! about as much help as some of the thud rumble scratch definitions :)

Yes the OG is a 2 click flader movement with 2 sounds forward, one back on the record.

I've got my low voice for pretending to be a tough guy and doing sloppy youtube videos, then my high pitched autotune voice for dat S3x Muz1k.

It could be really embarrassing if I got the two confused in a confrontation.

• Like 1

Goin through the tediously slow process of learning the og with my weak hand on the fader. Thought seeing as I was working on the og I might as well practice it in a pattern. On the left I like the phased og walking so I've been trying to replicate that on the right. Really having difficulty stopping the left hand freezing up. Watched this vid of the normal og walking so I tried that and voila. Can only do it at snails pace but the timing sounds more like it should. Also as another added bonus its an open fader cut as opposed to the phased one and most of the cuts I do on the weak side are open fader so combos a plenty!!!

Gud vid ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

tried this yesterday. Cue'd up your video to get a sense of the sound. Then googled up some other OG flare videos (a few). What I noticed with other people doing the OG Flare is they would go for 2 clicks to get the first two sounds. I'm assuming this is the old way. Because all you really need is one click to chop the sound into two. As for the pull back I noticed you need to pull it back fast to get almost a chirp like sound.

Anyway, I was able to replicate the walking OG flare a few times during my practice. Just not with the same sample. Using 'ahhhh' helps because you can really hear everything. I don't have Symatic's Cadence w/Rhythm & Flow. But was able to kind of do it on a similar vocal sample (4 syllable). My only thing is that majority of the OG flares I've heard people doing were usually quick. Which I can do but I'm looking for more of a flowey cadence to it. I've been experimenting with 80-95bpms to try to get it sounds on beat and almost pausing on the pullback. Kind of hard to really explain. I'll try to put together a video some time soon.

Thanks for the tutorial though.#madprops

It is 2 clicks dude. You start open, play sound & close fader. tap fader open once. stop record. reverse record while opening fader - returning you back to the starting position.

that was like some war time talk. stop.

I hope that helped. Stop.

I think I should stop. Stop.

• Like 1

Glad to report I can now do both, the phased one and the normal one. Will probably take a lot longer to build enough speed to double time it but even at half speed it sounds reaaaallly freshhhh! Its also helped bring my orbits on. Although I can only perform them reaaaallly slow.

Also been leaving a little space between the slow pull half and the quick pull half to vary the rhythm of it a bit. Also experimented with replacing one of the pulls with a crab usually the second one. And also experimented with starting with the slow pull and starting with the quick one.

Never done a vid for dv. Sorry eric bout the sound quality and skill quality but u can see my thought process.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDGFYcYBi5k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Had to post it as its my first dv vid but done another to a beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8pDkEYQu0U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So after experimenting on the right I then whent back to the left deck and came up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql-sKOj2w2A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Its kind of a 212 but with a crab instead of the last 2.

Please note these are all experimental for me and are by no means finished article. These are patterns you all probably know and have sussed already.

Its been good for me as ive took a cut I do on the left, broke it down on the right. Found another direction and took it back onto the left. My plan is to add this cut into a bag with my phased og and the 212.

• 8 months later...

Another interesting 2-Click combo that a friend that is called José Rodriguez from Málaga, teaches us is 'AutoFlare':
It is a 6-note Fast Autobahn + Delayed 2 Click Flare Orbit.
Or you can see it also as: The four first phases of 6-note Fast Autobahn + Reverse 2-Click Flare Orbit + 5th & 6th phase of 6-note Fast Autobahn.

The 'AutoFlare' is a 12-note scratch:

Edited by pointadnb
  • Like 3

Pointa I watched that vid b4 as well, I'm sure I seen a older vid same technique but he calls it a boom flare, regardless of which one it's called its a cool cut, the only bad thing about it is I do it too much although I do have a few variations with crabs and wave tears.

If you mirror that autoflare/boomflare along the x-axis, it's very similar to TigerStyle's butterfly combo. Just switch the second half of the orbit for that three-sound 'whip' (as he calls it).

Love the walking flare. Wish I could find a copy of Cadence with Rhythm and Flow. Once we start getting into 12 note patterns is where people start to lose me. I mean, I get the pattern and I could practice it and get it down, but part of me feels like its tedious practice to pull off a pattern I'd rarely use. Once you get into all the long multi-click plattens I'm pretty much just free-flowing and I'm paying attention to the sounds with the fader and record stuff on autopilot but pretty much just stringing together shorter combos. Am I missing out here doods? Am I damping my steez by not buckling down? Are all you super crazy technical cats all doing 12 and 16 note combos?