NAMM 2015

Solemn

What do you make of this year's show? Did you follow any of it or any of the new releases? Is there anything you are really excited about? It somehow amazes me how many new synths there are going to be released and that everything has to be "analogue" these days. A few years ago no one would have anticipated that...

• Like 1

I don't follow it, because the only thing that's likely to interest me are new mixers and someone will inevitably post about those on here anyway. I was interested to see what the company that Alessio Foti is now working for is all about, but I haven't seen any info about that anywhere.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been following some of it. Not much on the DJ side of things that came out I'd want myself, although the Serato announcements are kind of interesting for grand scheme of things.

Of all the new analogue stuff...

I wanted to like the Akai Timbre Wolf as a 4 voice poly for £300. But as it turns out, it's not possible to make an analogue poly for £300 and it sounds less tuneful than most of my farts.

At the other end of the scale, Dave Smith getting the Sequential brand bame back and using it to make the Prophet 6 is pretty damn cool. Particularly the lengths he's gone to, to make all those VCOs stable.

The Korg Arp reissue is very interesting too, although like the Prophet I could never afford one.

the Serato announcements are kind of interesting for grand scheme of things.

Yeah the DVS pack enabling pioneer DJM 850, 900 and A&H DB2, DB4 is a huge deal, if I was an aspiring dj looking to break into club work I'd buy a djm 850 in a heart beat now it supports DVS for both Serato and Traktor.

The announcement to open serato dvs to any manufacturer willing pay for the license is first time I've ever got feature jelly as a Traktor user.

As Matt said the akai Timbre wolf looked exciting until you found out it was just the 1 synth voice from the rhythm wolf multiplied 4 times n sounds pants. The Tom Cat looks more pants. The Akai Keyboards look good if you are looking for a high quality midi keyboard - i really like how they have a made a wrapper program for your VST's so in theory you get the plug and play like you could from NI's new key, but in a much more open enviroment. Will have to wait and see how well this really works though.

Probably the most exciting thing worth mentioning the MS20 sound module. Despite the build quality of the MS20mini being a bit shit, the sound quality is very good from the little play i've had with it and with the CV the modulation potential is frightening and endless. I'd expect the module version to be a bit cheaper hopefuly and if so thats a real bonus as you're making a saving by removing the shitest part of the full machine.Also you get to build it your self, which looks fun :-)

I don't follow it, because the only thing that's likely to interest me are new mixers and someone will inevitably post about those on here anyway. I was interested to see what the company that Alessio Foti is now working for is all about, but I haven't seen any info about that anywhere.

From their FB page, it looks like they are going to mass produce the TR-X mixer

Guest rasteri
From their FB page, it looks like they are going to mass produce the TR-X mixer

They better fucking had mass produce it, the limited quantities thing was a pisstake

I didn't follow closely but there were a couple interesting things that came out. Synths mostly but I'm hoping to see some other DJ or looping gear.

At the other end of the scale, Dave Smith getting the Sequential brand bame back and using it to make the Prophet 6 is pretty damn cool. Particularly the lengths he's gone to, to make all those VCOs stable.

The Korg Arp reissue is very interesting too, although like the Prophet I could never afford one.

the prophet 6 and the odyssey are definitely two of the most exciting new things of this year's namm. but then again i'm not too fussed about either of them. at the end of the day this reissue thing is a huge marketing trick, which doesn't mean that those synths are bad, far from it, but still....the arp seems a bit toyish while the prophet is definitely out of my like league financially speaking. i appreciate though that dave smith is trying to bring out quality stuff, there's already more than enough cheap clobber flooding the market anyway. weirdly enough i'm more excited about the new rolands...whatever they turn out to be in the end, at least they look fun.

I think the MS20 module kit might be costly. The build yourself kit they did of the whole synth was about £1200 in relation to about £400 for the built mini. If so, it's definitely a shame, because an MS module you build yourself for less than the mini would be great.

Yeah, not that cheap vs. the mini , fairly reasonable vs the full fat kit ..

MS20 kit - £1039 http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk

MS20 + sq1 module kit - £859 https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk

MS20 mini - £379 (anywhere)

If I had the money Dopp, I'd glady take it off you... but not a hope in hell right now :(

Adam - I guess that pricing does sort of make sense. The kits/full scale ones are better built than the mini and you do get the SQ1 which is a hundred quid on it's own I think. It's the version I'd most like to own, but well out of my price range still.

Solemn - the most interesting thing to me is how they can bring out new stuff that has a lot of qualities of the beloved old gear, but with extra functionality and utilization of new tech. Dave Smith's approach to the new Prophet for instance, where he's using VCOs rather tha DCOs but with digital sensors control temp (or something like that... the video explains it properly)