AND THE OVERALL WINNER IS.....

Cutting straight to the chase, the winner of the DV Freestyle Scratch Battle 2014 is.....

Chmielix

Congratulations man! Commiserations to Biox. Both of you guys were consistently strong throughout this battle. I'll be contacting the sponsors later to arrange for your prizes to be sent out.

2 of the judges didn't get back to me in time with their picks, but whoever they picked, it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome and I promised that I would post the result today so I didn't want to keep Biox and Chmielix waiting any longer.

Here's the judges' picks: -

Mr. Victor

Chmielix

what a final !

My victory goes for Chmielix who definitely killed it. His best round, incredible technic and the flow his also there.

Biox send some ill patterns too, props again !

Pete Sasqwax

Chmielix

DJ Happee

Chmielix

Muzzell

Chmielix

chile

Chmielix

Sparky T

Chmielix

My vote's on Chmielix this time, the beat worked very well for him and he delivered a nice flow. Biox was dope as well, but Chmielix was slightly better.

Jon1st

Chmielix

Billy Jam

Chmielix

Ritchie Ruftune

Chmielix

ok so after many views of his round i say - chimelix is the winner of this final one - both were amazing i just felt chimelix had more variation in this round.

Chris Karns

TBC

DJ Precision

TBC

Once again, big thanks to all of the sponsors, judges, competitors, and everyone else that helped with the battle!

• Like 1

Congrats to Chmielix! The standard of this final, and the whole competition to be fair, has been amazing. Massive kudos to both, heaps of props are muchly deserved.

Big up Steve for organising this again, great to see such ill cutting on show :)

congrats to chmeilix and biox!! both of you have ridiculous cuts. and to the runners up too.. the standard was ridonkulous this year.. pushing the bar in many directions

wow I just cant believe it! thank you for everything! i never thought i can get to the final 8 so winning is for me something totally abstract! it will take me some time to get around it... thanx Steve and the DV Crew and the Judges and all the contestants!!

• Like 9

Congrats Chmielix!!! :)

And thanks a lot guys! Sick battle! I have met many great turntablists so I'm happy anyway for the amazing top 2!! :d

Big up to all the competitors, all of the judges and obviously to DV team for organising it!! :)

Edited by Biox
  • Like 5

Congratulations Chmielix! You were a standout competitor from your very first round entry.

Similarly, huge respect to Biox... it was such a close battle throughout.

Big thanks to everyone involved in this battle in every possible way, particularly Steve of course for your countless hours put in to making this happen.

First off, mad props to Steve for following through with this to the T. Nice work. And damn, the cutting was killer, especially as the battles progressed. Also stoked we have some new heavy hitters on board; the more the merrier and scarier...

It was a tough one in the last round, because after watching all of the vids up to that point it was clear that each DJ had their own strengths when it came to the style of beat. I didn't want to pick a beat that gave one of the DJs an advantage so I was almost going to say "you can use your own beat in this last round", but after discussing it with Pete, we went with that particular beat as it had a different vibe to it than all of the other beats in the competition.

I agreed with the judges overall. Chmielix was better over the slower and mid-tempo beats, while Biox seemed to really come alive over the faster ones, and while Chmielix didn't exactly struggle there, you could tell his flow wasn't as good (IMO anyway). This battle is about being able to cut over various tempos and styles of beats, rather than just the ones that a particular DJ may favour, so I think the outcome was the right one. Also, combining single sample cuts with some wordplay seems to go down well, so I think future competitors might bear that in mind, rather than sticking with one sample for the whole video or for the bulk of it.

Congrats to you both! And thanks for the drunken chats on FB, lol. :d

Congrats to Chmielix for the title!

As someone (ahm!) said in some other website, 2014 was the year Scratch battles became cooler than DJ battles. And without the DV battle, this would have been impossible to happen.

Nevertheless though, I must once more state that the first video of Biox for the final battle is probably one of the best ever battle scratch routines caught on tape. That shit was so flawless, I initialy thought it was edited and had to watch a couple times more.