Urgent- ground loop scream

doppelkorn

Just set up for a wedding tonight. Ground loop screaming is pretty annoying there. It's a new venue for me. Laptop is def the culprit. Ive seen a quick fix online which is to disconnect the earth pin of the laptop plug. What are the disadvantages of this? Dead soon?

I would not remove the ground! Presumably the ground loop disappears if you run the laptop from the battery rather than the mains? DI box or double insulated replacement power pack is usually the answer. Power pack perhaps simpler, get to Maplin.

Class 1 relies on the ground of the electrical supply if there is a fault. Technically this means you shouldn't use equipment abroad with those adaptors, though everyone does. I could be wrong. If you can get a replacement power supply with a proper double insulated "figure 8" power lead (class 2) then that is your best bet.

If the power adaptor develops a fault there is a theoretical chance of mains voltage getting to the laptop casing. I think. So, death. Probably fairly unlikely. Just stand on your right foot and use your right hand all night to be on the safe side.