optimizing XP

dunic

Guest Deeswift

All you need is Deeswift. I will tell you exactly how to tweak and optimize the shit out of XP. Where do you want to start?

BTW, hello Dunic. :)

Hey man, whatsup.:)

Where do i wanna start, uhh, i dont really know actually, i've heard (actually read from the allmighty 2 disk's i got a long time ago ;) ) that you could get rid of some unneeded shit in XP so it will run smoother. Main problem i have is that when i use reason/cubase/fruityloops or albeton that my sounds kind of chokes up after a while.. kinda hard to describe...its like when the needle skips on your records..but i dont think it should happen on a p4 3ghz with 1024mb ram. I've just installed my pc fresh with all the above software and it still does it so im hoping it'll get away if im adjusting some shit :)

Hey man, whatsup.:)

Where do i wanna start, uhh, i dont really know actually, i've heard (actually read from the allmighty 2 disk's i got a long time ago ;) ) that you could get rid of some unneeded shit in XP so it will run smoother. Main problem i have is that when i use reason/cubase/fruityloops or albeton that my sounds kind of chokes up after a while.. kinda hard to describe...its like when the needle skips on your records..but i dont think it should happen on a p4 3ghz with 1024mb ram. I've just installed my pc fresh with all the above software and it still does it so im hoping it'll get away if im adjusting some shit :)

Yep. You really should optomize xp if your running cpu and ram intensive music programs. Especially if you use multiple instances of vst instruments --

The sound you are hearing is the sound buffering.

Best start would be to turn off some unneeded xp services. I think Dee can sort you out with a regfile to do this.

You can also turn off windows themes to speed shit up even more ;)

BTW - What sound card are you running? It could be something to do with that. What latency to you have it set to?

PS Make sure you are using the asio driver in cubase (if you have one)

Guest Deeswift

I disagree about tturning off the Themes service, Clown. Performance gains here are not worth making XP look like shit, IMO, but make your own mind up. If you don't mind XP looking like Windows 98 or something, go ahead and turn off the Themes service.

Basically though, dunic, I just remembered an old thread I made. See my old XP tweak thread here:

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89

Also, some programs you need:

CrapCleaner

RegSeeker

NTREGOPT

Tweak UI

Also, get yourself Raxco PerfectDisk (defragmenter)

Start on that lot and come back when you've looked through it. In that thread, I got lazy and didn't bother finishing the guide, but I linked to a good one here: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dTyp...dId=324&dPage=1

Haha Dee youve always had strong opinions on those windows themes!!!

I can say now it DOES give you a performance boost. Although i have mine turned on with the black xp skin and the digitalvertigo wallpaper (looks dope)

Just try it for yourself dunic see what you prefer!

Guest Deeswift
Haha Dee youve always had strong opinions on those windows themes!!!

I can say now it DOES give you a performance boost. Although i have mine turned on with the black xp skin and the digitalvertigo wallpaper (looks dope)

Just try it for yourself dunic see what you prefer!

Yeah mate, XP looks like toss without Themes. I would use Windows 2000 if I wanted it to look like shit! I know there's a slight performance gain by turning it off (unnoticable with anything above 256MB RAM though) but the trade off isn't worth it, IMO.

Well, i downloaded that "safe" settings reg file to turn off some services, crapcleaned everything with that program and even replaced my drivers, got rid of some shit so i have 40 gb free diskspace and it still chokes up..

argh !

I would think the soundcard is likely to be causing ALL the problems. The soundblaster series are well known for causing havoc for music maker types!

Or if for some reason your hard drives are not communicating properly/efficiently. But yeah the soundcard would be my number one target.

Edited by Deft

Guest Deeswift

Damn, I have no idea what's up then mate. It could be so many things I guess. You could go as far as updating the BIOS for your motherboard, or it could be some driver somewhere along the line.

It might be an idea to post a Hijack This log, then we can see your running processes and check for any kind of spyware.

I've got a P3-800 with half the RAM you have and music programs all work fine.

Take a look in Event Viewer (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools) and see if there are any entries in either Application or System that have a red cross next to them and correspond to the times when your PC stutters. If there is, post up what it says.

Also, in some programs you can select your soundcard. I have two options, "Creative Soundblaster PCI" and "Wave Mapper". If I select Wave Mapper, I get the same thing you get - stuttering and shit as if my CPU is maxed out. The same thing happens in Skype too. Make sure your proper soundcard is selected as the default recording device in whichever program you are using.

I would think the soundcard is likely to be causing ALL the problems. The soundblaster series are well known for causing havoc for music maker types!

Or if for some reason your hard drives are not communicating properly/efficiently. But yeah the soundcard would be my number one target.

Deft knows, depends a little on the card tho.

Audigy/Audigy2 are gash, passable with hacked drivers.

SBLive not too bad, great with hacked drivers.

SBPCI alright, grossly underpowered, fine for a bit of fruity.

Best advice I can give? The basic Maudio Audiophile can be had for £65 now. I can actually see the main UK Maudio dealer, it's right outside my girlfriends window. We went down and got 'em for that price at the warehouse; if anyone wants one, give me a shout and I'll shoot over when I'm next back in Dork.

Yeah i know i haven't the greatest soundcard but i used it in my old pc (p3 i think with 1,1 ghz 512mb ram) and it run smootlhly.

I will check dat event logger, see what it'll say.

I must say tho, after the previous actions i took it chokes léss then before!