The Ruck is back - Scratchgod.com

Vekked

#Ruckazoid=KanyeWestOfTheScratchGame

Most accurate thing I've read on this thread! I still hold memories of all the shit going down on D's forum.

Dude should just disappear in a wormhole.

Shhh or he will delete this forum with his mindray

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

@Pete

He posted some weird twitter tweet about the tour that since he wasen't on board, that it would like watching a gig of "Otis Reding and the band" without Otis and only the band playing.

Actually, I prefer Booker T & The MGs when they are on their own.

Mike Boo just does the Secret Sidewalk stuff these days as far as I know.

Sounds illegal - which rumors did I miss out on?

More importantly, where was the Rock Hard Bastards EP that was supposedly dropping on the heels of the tour?

It'll be the bonus disc of Switchblade Sermons 2 - stay tuned.

Best thread of the year by the way: gRRRAPevine stYle!

That whole post is gold. I LOL'd

I also LOL'd at Matt feeling obliged to provide a factual correction but feeling immensely guilty about it. Our youngest cat has an obsession with hair bands (bobbles? i love that word, but I don't know if that's what most people call them) and she cannot possibly resist collecting any she finds and rolling about on the floor chewing them etc. The way she does it is almost apologetic - like she feels a certain degree of shame about doing it, but acknowledges that it is part of her character. Yes, mate - basically, I'm drawing a parallel between that and your Mar-Keys post.

Guest petesasqwax

Bobbles is mos def the word, just like mos def is mos def yasmine beyoncé!

The Ruck disappeared up his own wormhole years ago. He's broadcasting live from there via satellite.

Guest Symatic

ugh, kanye / ruck type shit pisses me off like this....

I was chatting to a mate about the Stones Throw Documentary (Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton) and I asked why Kanye was in it as a talking head, and we ended up having a endless debate about fuckin Kanye, who I don't bother paying attention to normally, but I couldnt help but notice his bullshit comments in the doc, and wondered what he had to do with stones throw, if anything at all.

I got a massive lecture about how he's actually so amazing and clearly self aware enough to actually be in control of his public image and its all really clever and culturally significant, while i argued he was just operating as a commercial entity, and i dont enjoy listening to anything he does so why should i waste my time with him.....

but the annoying point that's also relevant here is that because of all his (kanye or ruck's) bullshit, we're still here talking passionately about it, so it kind of makes whatever it is theyre doing a sucsess....... Fuckin mindray pagan illuminati bullshit. damn!

for the ruckord (new word, patent pending) I feel the same way about rucks stuff as pete said, all the scetchbook, SiC and live gunkhole/ned hoddings stuff was amazing, after that.... meh.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

to take Steve's point though, we're not talking about the Ruck's music (has anyone actually checked it?) but rather his endless bullshit. same with Kanye.

I've had people rant at me - often people who aren't usually that into hip-hop either - about how hyper-self-aware Kanye is and blablahblah. Anybody else who wants to go down that route:

• Like 1

On Love Me Love Me Love Me I had to check a couple of times that there wasn't a second song playing in the background. Bloody racket.

Ruler is quite nice, it's not saying much though. Is that Ruck doing the talking? It's got that annoying timbre to it that drives me nuts.

Money is nice, nothing special but it's got a bounce.

Too Bad. Nice. His MJ voice makes me feel a bit sick though.

Lingerie is cool. I love talkboxes, I love cheesefest r&b ballads.

Think About It is okay, but I'm not sure what I'm listening to though to be honest. Teeko's scratching is minimal to say the least.

D&S didn't work for me. I mean the player itself didn't work.

Big L is nowhere near the level of the Ghostface tune he did, which was amazing, or half of RRRAP. This would have benefitted from being done in an MPC.

I tend to think Ruckazoid is either brilliant or really middle of the road and lazy, with probably a 20/80 split.

The design choices are sort of 'grown up tries an odd future look', which is a bit unexciting. I do think the 808 buttons inside the jacket are cool though. The pay with a tweet thing is annoying, I might still do it... but possibly delete the tweet though.

Over a quarter million dollars was spent on producing a limited number of Controller One turntables, and less than $1,000 was spent on marketing and educating the public about the world's newest instrument. Due to a lack of a marketing strategy, the Controller One was primarily presented by unqualified users to the mainstream market which contributed to the instrument being a commercial failure.

He's not bitter then...

The going price of a used Controller One is about 4k, which is about 4 times higher than it's original price tag. Vestax, the company who manufactured this turntable, has also gone out of business.

Probably not the best advertising, flololol.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I like the 808 buttons in the lining too. that's as positive as I can be about the whole thing. I'm done.

I'm on twitter, but I'm fucked if I'm going to "pay with a tweet" about some Ruck bullshit. that feels like he's pulling some pinky ring shit, nahmean? f'realz. I feel obliged to say "fuck dat" like the lead emcee from Street Smartz

I like the 808 buttons in the lining too. that's as positive as I can be about the whole thing. I'm done.

I'm on twitter, but I'm fucked if I'm going to "pay with a tweet" about some Ruck bullshit. that feels like he's pulling some pinky ring shit, nahmean? f'realz. I feel obliged to say "fuck dat" like the lead emcee from Street Smartz

I DLed one track then deleted the tweet and revoked the app's access, pretty easy...

Over a quarter million dollars was spent on producing a limited number of Controller One turntables, and less than $1,000 was spent on marketing and educating the public about the world's newest instrument. Due to a lack of a marketing strategy, the Controller One was primarily presented by unqualified users to the mainstream market which contributed to the instrument being a commercial failure.[/size]

He's not bitter then...

The going price of a used Controller One is about 4k, which is about 4 times higher than it's original price tag. Vestax, the company who manufactured this turntable, has also gone out of business.[/size]

Probably not the best advertising, flololol.

It's highly possible that the Rucks fine efforts to be a bellend at the time of the C1 release contributed to its bigger scale production down full. Would a big corp wanna get behind a product that's got a poster boy who's alienating the scene/market against him?

Also when ever D, Teeko or Woody mention helping design the C1 they mention the other contributors in the process, but funnily enough when ThEE Ruck mentions the C1, he did it all him self and talks as if the turntable is fucking gods second child.

• Like 1

IMO the C1 remains one of the biggest failed attempts at making a muscial instrument as it sounds horrendous. what you can do these days with all the seratos/NIs/ableton is 10000000x more listenable.

good to see that the ruck-stories still make me laugh.

ah, the good old days. hideous jacket though.

Guest petesasqwax

I DLed one track then deleted the tweet and revoked the app's access, pretty easy...

there's a fucking app? FFS

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Also when ever D, Teeko or Woody mention helping design the C1 they mention the other contributors in the process, but funnily enough when ThEE Ruck mentions the C1, he did it all him self and talks as if the turntable is fucking gods second child.

Maybe I imagined this, but didn't ruckazoid openly ridicule Woody's design input and demo videos?

EDIT : YUP - http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/newspage.php?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=711&_id=1152

(scroll down to comments section)

• Like 1

"The idea was to place buttons on the turntable that would change the speed of the record to match the correct musical key. After the initial idea was drafted up, Vestax produced the original prototype. After the prototype was designed, other DJs were asked for their input and the final instrument was created.

Suggestions included adding buttons to the circumference of the platter, the ability to program and assign buttons to specific keys, and adding MIDI IN to control the speed of the turntable via external keyboard. "

essentially, Ric falls into the trap that many egotistic people do: he thinks envisioning an end result is an invention. The quote above from his own mouth http://www.scratchgod.com/the-instrumentis as close as I've ever seen him come to admit the depth to which the product development went through without his direction, and it shows quite clearly that what the C1 is is largely down to involvement from people with good ideas - they co-created it as much as he did, and if Ricci wants to say he was the first person to ever conceive of the idea of having locked pitch buttons instead of a fader he's welcome to do that - but that's all his invention/creation comes down to on his part (and if it's not clear, I'm saying he's quite obviously nuts for doing so). Before the C1 came out I made a routine with a qwerty>midi converter and scratchlive and a keyboard and scratched/played a synth part with multisampled synth notes and cue points, and the idea was to do the same thing with multisampled horns etc. I never ended up doing it because of a variety of reasons, but nobody else ran with it either. Even after many others and myself highlighted the CDX's midi capability.

Maybe I imagined this, but didn't ruckazoid openly ridicule Woody's design input and demo videos?

EDIT : YUP - http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/newspage.php?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=711&_id=1152

(scroll down to comments section)

On June 20, 2007, wakka said this:
Ricci Rucker's music is rather dope, but his attitude towards the art form is close minded, pompous, and arrogant.

Simply put, Ricci Rucker is the Kanye West of turntablism.

:d

The best part of the story is that still to this day, Ruck's never done anything special with a C1.

has he ever posted a video using the melody functions? I've only seen him use ahhs or combine the deck with the quickswitch prototypes

Guest rasteri

has he ever posted a video using the melody functions? I've only seen him use ahhs or combine the deck with the quickswitch prototypes

He posted like 5 videos but only one or two of them actually used the pitch buttons and IIRC weren't that great. Certainly Woody's demo was better.

They used to be on youtube but he made them private.

of the ones that rasteri talks about i really liked one in particular that was very ruckazoid 5000 (which i thought was insanely dope btw, not so much the sequel) one where he walks on and plays some synth chords then cuts up the solo... that was dope as fuck. the rest... he was just cutting on it like it was a pdx.

btw rasteri i love you really, i'm just a nob sometimes. x