2x4 Tips

djdiggla

I've only done a 2x4 set once and felt like I had little idea what to do. I've been talking to a friend about practicing a 2x4 set and wondered if anyone had any tips or what was the general mentality / format / order to having a successful throwdown.

Thx

Err yes, some. Although when I used to do this regularly, it was before DVS and a lot of the time the advantage of having two people and setups was about cueing records and getting them them mixed in quicker than you could do on your own.

I'd recommend working out loads of little mini routine/mixes - 5 to 10 minutes of set pieces that you've practiced well and can drop into whenever the moment arises.

Between these I'd stick to one person mixing and one providing complimentary cuts, perhaps switching who does which half quite regularly.

I'd definitely keep it simple to start with and build up the complexity as you get more hours of playing these sets under your belt. Definitely step back from time to time to judge what you're doing actually sounds like. Don't do stuff because you feel you need to both be going at it full bore just because there's two of you.

Make simple rules to always fall back on - no scratching over lyrics, or at least verses, never have too many beats playing over the top of each other, decide who's gonna make adjustments to beats as you're mixing so you're not fighting against each other.

And some other stuff I'll think of in a minute...

• Like 4

I think with that setup you need to rehearse something together, whereas a traditional b2b you can freestyle it

This is if we're talking about 2 Djs over 4 decks and not a plank of wood?

Yeah 2 DJs on 4 decks but it seems to be generally freestyled or only loosely practiced. Do yall call that b2b?

Err yes, some. Although when I used to do this regularly, it was before DVS and a lot of the time the advantage of having two people and setups was about cueing records and getting them them mixed in quicker than you could do on your own.

Ah that makes sense. Kinda keep it moving. That's what was kinda confusing me. The crew that does 2x4s every Saturday been doing it since before DVS and now do it with DVS. One of them was the only person I had ever attempted to do it with. I just felt like I wasn't keeping up with him.

Between these I'd stick to one person mixing and one providing complimentary cuts, perhaps switching who does which half quite regularly.

That's kinda what I'd read works well is one person more adding little bits bits and cuts while the other is more in the driver seat.

I think with that setup you need to rehearse something together, whereas a traditional b2b you can freestyle it

This is if we're talking about 2 Djs over 4 decks and not a plank of wood?

Yeah 2 DJs on 4 decks but it seems to be generally freestyled or only loosely practiced. Do yall call that b2b?

b2b (back to back) is normally when two djs take turns playing over one traditional 1 x mixer 2 x turns/cds setup, either swapping after each mix or playingn a few at a time.

I'd recommend working out loads of little mini routine/mixes - 5 to 10 minutes of set pieces that you've practiced well and can drop into whenever the moment arises.

I'd definitely keep it simple to start with and build up the complexity as you get more hours of playing these sets under your belt. Definitely step back from time to time to judge what you're doing actually sounds like. Don't do stuff because you feel you need to both be going at it full bore just because there's two of you.

Make simple rules to always fall back on - no scratching over lyrics, or at least verses, never have too many beats playing over the top of each other, decide who's gonna make adjustments to beats as you're mixing so you're not fighting against each other.

And some other stuff I'll think of in a minute...

Quality info. Thanks.