Another harmonically matched piece! Enjoy :)

Guest Symatic

he just means he cut up all his samples in ableton so that they were all in key with each other (and also in time).

so he's kinda made a track, deconstructed it, then reconstructed it live.

It's funny, after nearly five years on this forum, watching scratch videos with admittedly low levels of interest, I've still got very little idea of what's going on. It's just a blur of hands. My secret shame.

But on another, more positive note I'll be celebrating my five year anniversary in about a month, although I'll be on holiday so I'm going to brief Jimmy on what to do, how much cake/condoms to buy etc.

• Like 2

Yes Jon, i agree....which is probably why i haven't won a DMC title yet :p

Until now, i have only really been playing with timed scratch sentences, it really didn't occur to me to be making in key musical cuts until i played with the Scratch Science Daily Thrill. Until now its pretty much been freestyle cuts over beats....now I'm trying to be more "setting it out as a song" in my approach to production.

• Like 1

Actually, am I missing something here?

If you've got all your samples in key, and you then start scratching them, isn't that going to put them at all different frequencies - and therefore out of key - as you move the record around a different speeds?

As long as you don't push on your forwards, the sample should drop in key :)

Theres also a bit of a knack required to get the right intonations i guess, but if you have ever spent time making chirps go up and down in tone, it should be fairly easy to drop nicely....

It's funny....i been using harmonics in mixes for years....just never thought of applying it to cuts until now!!!

Word it's a good thing that sometimes gets overlooked in scratching, especially before the days of customs in battles!

Check Birdy Nam Nam's old videos, 2tall's loop station performances and Ricci Rucker's projects from the early 2000s for some killer scratch music all in key :)

• Like 1