For the folks that were into hip-hop during the old school and/or golden age periods

Steve

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which best applies to you?

• I'm still loving hip-hop as much as ever, including new stuff!
    • I love listening to classic hip-hop, but I'm not really into the new stuff!
    • I've gone off hip-hop and don't really listen to it at all these days!

my favourite era is still the soulquarians, d'angelo, dilla, ?uestlove, poysner, etc produced stuff from sort of 98-2003

Ahh, the soundtrack to dinner parties with you "urban" friends.

And take my Toploader CD out of the tray? Get real.

• Like 1

I'm a mod on a hip-hop forum called Philaflava, but I just can't stand reading the main hip-hop section. It's full of threads about songs like this: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3v5mBlrZMA

This kind of hip-hop is a fucking joke. Music for stoopid motherfuckers.

Thankfully there's a forum section on there called T.R.O.Y. which is full of amazing stuff.

that's not hiphop, im sure all the pioneers wont label that as hiphop either

who ever listens to that will grow out of it and move on..my generation can still listen to the stuff made 20-30 years ago

@Doppelkorn,

I actually don't have any KRS music in my collection, never went to his shows, last time a friend asked me a few weeks back but i was peedicting too much preaching would be going on. But i respect him for his contribution to the culture.

I think you were on the rag when you placed that comment :d its ok if youre into rapping clowns, peace!

• Like 1

Some good newer acts and a fair few older acts with strong material

I like Buckshot's new album 'backpack travels' and the new material from action Bronson, black milk, guilty Simpson, Apollo brown and joey badass is solid

The hard bit is finding the good new stuff amongst all the crap on iTunes/band camp/blogs

I'd say 95% of what I listen to is rap and has been for nearly thirty years.

However, for me the connection between rap and scratching was severed a while ago. It's always nice to hear cuts e.g. on a chorus, but i don't expect it and it no longer seems like it's missing.

• 5 weeks later...

I get to a point where I'm just about to give up and someone will tell me about something! Most recently it was 'captain murphy' something to do with flying lotus (whoever he is)! But what I heard was amazing! The vinyl is £299 on discogs! So I will have to enjoy it future style! Anyone know if anything else that I might like?

Some of the dopest hiphop I've heard come out in a minute is Killer Mike and El-P "Run the Jewels" and Buddy Peace's new piece "300 Minutes." Both legit free downloads. Have had them on serious repeat.

Run the jewels part 2 announced recently. I think release scheduled before the year is out

The actual timeline for the golden age is definitely blurred. For me personally, its 86 to like 95. With the key years being 88,93 and 94. While there was still a lot of great hip hop that came out in the late '90s, you had to start filtering out more crap. Some new stuff catches my ear from time to time. But I do find myself listening to older stuff.

Guest petesasqwax

I voted for the first one, but there's a caveat to that:

I do genuinely still love hip-hop as much as ever, including new stuff, but the new stuff I listen to isn't a lot like what I listened to back then. I very rarely get excited by vocal hip-hop albums these days and the ones I do get excited about are often ones who I've been listening to for a very long time (Freestyle Fellowship emcees, Third Sight, Sacred Hoop, Aesop Rock & basically most people who had anything to do with Def Jux). I don't really listen to any golden age or old school stuff as it just doesn't give me what I'm looking for these days. Some of it does, but mostly, not so much. I like dirty, gritty shit which, if it has emcees on it, uses emcees with voices that scrape the lowest depths of the seabed. BLS from Shahmen is a good example. Aesop Rock, Arecee. Loads of them. Also witty emcees with odd deliveries and off-kilter punchlines like Godforbid or Luke Sick. The Slow Suicide Stimulus album is what I have on in the car right now which is from mid 2000s. I listen to a lot of stuff from that kind of era.

Guest petesasqwax

Some of the dopest hiphop I've heard come out in a minute is Killer Mike and El-P "Run the Jewels" and Buddy Peace's new piece "300 Minutes." Both legit free downloads. Have had them on serious repeat.

I fully endorse this statement

• 2 weeks later...

For me, golden age of hip hop in the US was from 1987 (starting with Paid in Full and Criminal Minded) through to the early nineties. By the mid 90s the consistency started tailing off and the underground hip hop that represented the next wave in the late 90s and early 00s just didn't have the same energy or imagination that the first 13-14 years of hip hop on record had. There was still quality stuff being released but you had to work harder to find it. I don't even bother with hip hop today - it's not worth the effort.