favorite sampler?

Oh there's no simple answer to that question.

My thoughts are either something older than you've got that's 12 bit - MPC60, SP-1200 or S-950. Or at the other end of the scale, software - Maschine is my choice, although there is also the MPC series doing the same thing. Something like Ableton would open up even more possibilities, but then you lose the hardware sampler style workflow.

For me, more modern MPCs/hardware samplers are too much "jack of all trades, master of none". I know some people find them to be a good compromise, but for me they don't offer the sound of the old classic machines and they don't offer the convenience and vastly more extensive sample sonic shaping possibilities of software and plugins.

For the record, I've had three MPCs - 2000XL, 2000 and 1000 and Maschine with half decent laptop and audio interface and mostly Waves plugins. Maschine has been the only thing I've really used since it came out and I could never go back to hardware as my main workstation. Although I'd love something old like the MPC60 as a compliment to the software, I think I'd only get occasional use out of it and a lot of samples would be pre-prepped in the computer. Actually, based on my recent experimentations with the MPC60 and SP-1200 emulations in Maschine, I'd probably use real ones less than I care to admit.

yea i tried maschine out and it was fun and you can make a skeleton damn near instantly. but i dont want to use the computer. was thinking of an sp-1200 just to have all 3 classic samplers. generally they all do the same thing. i guess i want hardware that has synths/kits and the ability to sample with more current efx.

Yep, the SP-1200 is the only classic sound you don't really have covered with what you've got.

Not sure what to suggest for a more modern sampler... a lot of more modern samplers don't have better FX than the ASR. Maybe the money would be better spent on hardware synths and processing gear? All the more modern FX I really like and rate that opened things up for me are software based plugins, I'm afraid. Plus for my tastes, making your own samples from a good analogue synth is still preferable to soft synths.

I've only ever used an mpc 2000xl. I dind't really like the 1000. I guess I've used a SP303 and 404 which are OK but obviously not as smooth of a work flow.

aloooot of ppl use the 2k xl. whats ur review diggla

I had 3 2K XLs and can tell from experience that the sound is a bit cold and external eq is much needed to make it smoother, the EB16 option kinda sucked but it had a decent filter but no compressor like the MPC1000/2500.

The SP-1200 is prob my fav sampler apart from the limited sample time. The fader sliders are very versatile in functionality and you can't find that sound anywhere else.

Now i have an MPC500 due to limited space, but im not really a beatmaker, well not the best anyway.

I have MPC500s too(4 of them), SP-404sx, and Microsampler. I just love that 404 for multiple purposes. It's a super fun machine. I mainly use the 500 for finger drumming, but sampling and sequencing with it is actually pretty easy. Saving stuff is a pain though.

Guest petesasqwax

I fucking love the 2000XL. I put the EB-16 effects board and a card reader into mine and it was such an absolute joy, but I have to admit, I very rarely actually made tracks with it and therefore, whilst I was sad to see it go, I never really missed it in terms of a production tool as Battery replaced it easily.

you have 4 MPC500s? how come?

aloooot of ppl use the 2k xl. whats ur review diggla

I've always come back to it. Tried to move away to faster stuff like the 1000 or 2500 but just sounded shit IMO. I still liked the machines but pretty worthless without JJOS and a new set of pads on most 2500s... but I'd still have them tho if I'd not needed $.

I also tried to switch to Ableton since most everyone I know ditched their MPCs and did but it's just like pulling teeth for me. I'm not comfortable with it. Largely because I have not taken the time but it's frustrating when you know how to do something on an MPC and cant get it to happen on Ableton. So I've started making all my loops in the MPC then transferring or recording into Live which is probably dumb but just what I end up doing out of frustration.

I'm really interested in the 4000 and 5000 models. If I had the money I'd get that or an Open Labs machine. Actually, would prob do the Open Labs if money was no object. The XL is awesome but for the price it sucks. Base machine- $500, flash card reader $100, internal efx $200, external CD rom $100, Zip reader $50, 8 channel out $150, external rack efx - you will never find. So all in for a decked out XL it's conservatively over $1000. For a really old machine. If you can find a decked out one for $500 grab it but otherwise I'd go with Ableton, Open Labs or a 4000/5000.

Guest petesasqwax

Good call. Ever since Buddy did his Bag Lunch Sessions I've been tempted to get one myself but haven't gotten around to it yet

i have mpc lust at the moment,

after loosing an ebay auction on an mpc2000 classic, that went for £108, ( i only had 100£ in my paypal and the fucker sniped me in the last three secconds.) ive decided i need an mpc more than i need to pay the rent.

after a bit of research i think what i'd like best would be a 2000xl with the fx board and individual outs.

but they are so damn expensive,it seems that you can get an mpc1000 or even a 5000 for less.

theres a possibility of an mpc5000 for €300 within a half hour drive of my house. sounds a bit too good to be true so i'll have to check it out in person.