ATTN DV - I need your DJ/production help for my wedding!

Bubba

Dear DV,

I'm in dire need of your help. And I turn to you in all faith, that someone might actually have a heart and some extra time to help me :o (***awaiting piss-take***)

So I'm getting married on the 23rd of August. And for most of you guys who have been down this route, you know that the girls like to come up with some crazy ideas etc and the one that follows may seem familiar to a few of you.

Anyways, at the beginning of this year, my fiance and I decided we wanted to learn how to dance properly for our wedding. So we went to our local dance studio, stating proudly that we wanted to dance an argentine tango for our wedding. The dance teacher *nicely* told us that we'd actually have to learn how to dance a bit before, we attempted one of the more difficult dance styles around.

So...we got hooked. Have learnt the ballroom dances (rhumba, cha cha cha, waltz, swing, tango, foxtrott) and have danced two or three competitions (and won them mind you :) ) and have now put together a pretty insane ballroom tango and argentine tango routine. And the *cool* thing is: No-one knows we're dancing. We've kept it a secret from everyone. So its going to be a bit of a surprise to everyone, especially my friends and fam, as I'm not really known for my dancing skills.

Now the issue comes. So for this routine we've had to combine two songs. We've explicitly chosen songs that are a bit more "well-known" simply for a crowd-pleasing effect, but its doing my head in. Some of you might recall or know that about a year ago my partner and I moved to Sydney, Australia (#onelovebroke) but this also meant that I left all my djing and production equipment in Zurich. So for the last few weeks I've been trying to transition these two songs and edit them using Audacity and I'm just simply not happy with the result.

The main issue is, that especially the second song doesn't have a proper climax in it to end with (the whole routine is around 3.10min) and of course you want to end the routine with a bang (so yes, I added the corny explosion effects).

As I know we've got some awesome producers on here and some even better DJs, I was wondering if someone might be able to help? As we're broke enough as it is, all I can offer is my love and the odd free online medical "consultation"...but especially my love and the promise of a male massage should be the sales argument here.

For you to have a go at this, I've uploaded what I've edded until now and then I've also uploaded the originals of the two songs. The order of the songs and the length of them should not be changed (too much), as we've timed all the steps of the routine and climaxes of the dance to these....but listening to my edited version (which sounds so horrible I could throw up) should give you an idea. A bit of a special thing is that the second song would actually require one bar of 8 more in the end, so that I have time to put Izzy (my fiance) back down on the ground and get into a final pose (so sexy I know), which given the song structure has been really difficult to put together...the current ending is therefore a bit too long right now and a pity, because its an anticlimax part of the song that I've tried to edit into a climax, but seem to have failed horribly with.

So...yeah...if anyone would have some input and help, I'd be really, really grateful. I know my contribution to this community is inconsistent, but that does sadly have to do with work and all...and doesn't change the way I feel about this board and how I try to contribute in any way possible.

So yeah, let me know what you all think and looking forward to all the piss that's going to be taken out of me now.

Cheers,

Oli

the song

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/c2tbq9c6bsfw52u/FisslersDance_FINAL_v3.mp3

www.mediafire.com/listen/c2tbq9c6bsfw52u/FisslersDance_FINAL_v3.mp3

first song

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6wrkn2xs55htvzo/El_Tango_De_Roxanne.mp3

www.mediafire.com/listen/6wrkn2xs55htvzo/El_Tango_De_Roxanne.mp3

second song

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/zy8ldd7zdjwsdkw/Gotan_Project_Santa_Maria.mp3

www.mediafire.com/listen/zy8ldd7zdjwsdkw/Gotan_Project_Santa_Maria.mp3

-------------

Following steve's input here's the zip file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zy6hwab93ngjehb/DVSongs.zip

Thanks mate!

Edited by Bubba
adding URLs

The second song can't be downloaded because Mediafire detected copyright infringement. Put all 3 files in a zip and pop it on Zippyshare instead.

Congrats on the forthcoming marriage! When I can get hold of all 3 files, I'll have a listen to them and see if I can think of anything. Mixing is more my thing rather than production, but maybe I can come up with something that'll work.

• Like 1

Way cool man. Super cool y'all are crushing the dance scene too. We did real basic stuff for ours. Hope y'all video it and put it up for us! Hopefully Steve can sort out the music for you.

• Like 1

Hehe, well if its "presentable" I'll do the "DV walk of shame" and put it up. We're by no way close to what you see on TV, as we have indeed just "started", but its really funny, how much I actually enjoy it. I never could dance before and actually never really tried to learn. Did lots of martial arts, and it kind of reminds me of that, just a lot more elegant. Plus, once you lose the fear of looking like a complete twat, things start going better too.

Yep, my fingers are crossed that Steve'll hook us up :)

Thanks guys, good to know some people still care bout this kind of stuff :)
Oli

• Like 1

I listened too man.... Think the transition sounds fine to be honest.

Although when the second tune came in at first I could help think it was D Styles - Cliffords Mustache coming in haha

Actually I just heard the end... Think I could probably make that a little more of a climax :p

Cheers guys and thanks Steve for even taking the time to have a listen.

Doob, if you reckon that the end could have more of a climax, could you give it a go? Mainly the ending area is what's killing me.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time for this.

Oli

Congrats on the wedding (and dancing) Bubba/Oli!

I'm sure Doob can sort you out so it's not a problem, but I must apologise for not being able to help on this one - chopping things up and throwing in some drums like it's the 90s is about as far as my repertoire goes I'm afraid.

chopping things up and throwing in some drums like it's the 90s is about as far as my repertoire goes I'm afraid.

That's given me an idea for a smash hit novelty summer single.

Working title: The Salad Dance by DJ Bygg Miek ft. Li'l Jimmy da Rymah.

Oh and congrats bubs!

You guys are awesome.

And thanks for the congratulations. We're really looking forward to this new part of life. The party itself is going to be off the hook too. Good size, not too big, not too small and we're getting married in Italy - so that'll be pretty damn awesome.

I think I'll by calling Jimmy Lil Jimmy da Rymah now. That name just reeks of talent!

And thanks guys, really intrigued to see what you come up with!!

Cheers,

Oli

P.S. Clifford's Mustache - Haha, I actually didn't think of that, but now its definitely in my head and you're so right. Haha, going to have to make sure I don't laugh when that bit comes on.

Well wax - you're also a master of blending impossible tunes, so I did indeed think of you when I posted this. But lets see what the guys come up with. If anymore people get involved we'll soon have to start a Bubba's wedding song battle - prizes include:

1st - Backscrub and massage by yours truely

2nd - Free wedding photo-album of us - people you've never met or seen in real life

3rd - Naked shots from my bucks party

#meta-manlove

:)

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

O.

I dunno man, I think it already sounds pretty good.

I played around with it but wasn't making it any better so decided to just add some stuff to the file you had already done.

Nothing major at all but think it sounds like the climax is a little more predictable now?

Also sorry it's now a WAV, Ableton does that...

http://multiupload.biz/07qx9tzdm40h/Brokes%20Wedding_MultiUpload.biz.wav.html

Thanks doob.

I'll have a listen. By the way clicking my way through multiupload was nuts. Just wondering why you don't use something like mediafire or dropbox?

It'll take a while for me to download and then listen to (as its 50 megs), but I'll get back to you asap :)

Thanks!

Oli

P.S. Bubbas wedding - Broke's already married ^_^

So I had a listen. I like the idea of how you used the wind or similar to build up the climax.

As I have to edit the end of the song anyways a bit, I might "steel" that idea and add some FX too. Or by the way - would you have that FX as a .wav file? That I way I could add it myself in audacity and edit it accordingly (there are specifics regarding the dance steps that are too complicated to explain here).

But thanks so much for taking the time doob. Really nice idea and great input.

Looking forward to hearing any further ideas/comments :)

Cheers,

Oli

Sorry Bubba, have no idea why I thought you were broke then.

Yeah man I'll upload it.

My drop box is always full basically, and I cba to sign up to media fire.

Didn't realise multiupload was now a ballache.

hope it all goes well man...

i've done some tango lessons as i've been living in Buenos Aires for the last 3 and a half years. but would need to step it up hugely to perform at my future wedding.

thought about this as the first dance tune when it happens...

its a bit depressing though... but it's an amazing tune.

Por una cabeza is an absolute classic to dance to. And nice, because the tempo allows you to take your time with the steps too.

We discussed this song first, as we were intending on only dancing argentine tango, but because of all the other ballroom dancing we've been doing (and liked) we decided to do a mix of ballroom tango and argentine.

By the way: I think learning argentine tango from the go is close to impossible. Its really difficult because you have to have a lot of control and an understanding for steps, positions etc. which I think - if you've never danced before - don't make any proper sense. Also argentine tango music is sometimes really tough to dance to.

If you seriously have thought about trying to learn that dance, I'd recommend you do the same we did - learn how to dance (basic) first, then step up the game. Its amazing how more comfortable you also become when music comes on in a bar/club, because you know how to move better.

Cheers guys will let you know how things go.

O.