Rumour: SoundCloud to use geo-fencing soon

Steve

If you don't know what geo-fencing is, it basically allows a copyright holder to say "this can only be played in countries X, Y and Z". You've probably had that happen to you occasionally on YouTube, where it'll say that the video isn't available in your country. Rumour has it that this is coming to SoundCloud soon, according to an article on DJ TechTools. Another nail in the coffin if so.

Apparently, Mixcloud no longer allows users to skip back in a mix, but only if you're a user in the US. That was because of pressure from the US music industry who didn't want people to be able to conveniently go back and listen to the same song over and over in a mix if they wanted to, as it forces the user to play the mix from the beginning again.

These suits and lawyers need to give it a fucking rest already.

More shit stupidity and like you say, another nail in the soundcloud coffin.

Watching the music industry and it's offshoots scrabble around struggling to keep up with the modern world is getting very tiresome.

IMHO if they had worked a way to keep up years ago by charging low enough amounts for access to quality downloads, they might have slowed the onslaught of everybody wanting all music for free (I feel the same way about downloading TV and films)

Once upon a time a DJ mix was great free promotion, but now record companies are fighting over the last few pence available for selling music, they're embarrassing themselves chasing all the wrong people in all the wrong places.

• Like 1

I don't understand the thinking behind this stuff.

I've discovered new songs/artists in mixes and that usually leads me to go and check out more music from that artist, which has led to me buying records and CDs. I have never once thought "well, I was going to buy that song, but as it features in this mix I don't need to now" and I can't believe that the promotional aspect of mixes doesn't outweigh any negative aspects of them.

I don't understand geo-fencing when it comes to the sale of music either. It happens a lot on Beatport, where people in certain countries can't buy certain tracks. Is that not a lost sale, so less money for the artist and label?? If you make it hard for someone to buy something legitimately, does that not push them in the direction of piracy?

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

do you think people will look back on mp3's and soundcloud etc with a sense of nostalgia?

"im my day you had to listen to the whole mix - NO SKIPPING"

"i know you technically can get better sound quality, but I really like the pops and clicks instant cease and desist letters from the copyright holders legal team"

• Like 1

Totally agree Steve. I've learnt about many songs and artists through mixes and having them on the mix has never been enough for me.

It's the record industry's next, misguided attempt to try and turn back the clock. They don't even know where to start on the real issues so they're now chasing tiny losses on all the wrong places, even penalising the people promoting their music for free.

What's next I wonder? A man from Warner music (or whoever) going to DJ gigs and making them turn off the sound system if the Dj tries to play one of "their" songs?

Hmm....

There is a difference between the venue and the net though, most venues pay money to PRS, which then by some massively convoluted process, goes back to some of the artists.... eventually...... might take a while though.... if you're lucky.

There is a lot being said by DJs on this matter but I haven't heard too many artists speak out.

Either way, how soundcloud works has no effect on me so playing devil's advocate a little...

Fruit?

I was referring to tasty alcoholic beverages, preferably with umbrellas in them....

There do seem to be a lot of butthurt internet DJs who use the 'I'm doing the artist a favour angle by promoting their music' which I don't really agree with.

How many sales were garnered from the track being featured on a mix and how many of the 100 or so people who downloaded the mix thought 'oh I like that song from the discotheque and it's on this mix, I don't need to buy it now because it's on my discotape playback machine' vs. 'Oh I must rush out and purchase the full discotheque 12" mix because I love to listen to music that features an additional 32 bars of drums at the start of the song that really doesn't have much point unless you are a DJ'.

And people getting pulled up on bait samples.

Good.

We've got to agree to disagree on wether songs are getting promotion by being in DJ mixes and wether sales are really being lost by their inclusion.

More importantly, I think labels and artists are sore because they've lost the real battle (people don't think music is something you buy any more - which I don't agree with at all). So they are picking small fights they think they can win with people who aren't really the problem to vent their frustration.

My highly shaky analogy would feature the recording industry as the school bully, who after years of throwing their weight about has met a bigger arsehole (free DLs and the mentality that has grown around them) whose given them a pasting in the playground. That night, they've gone home feeling sore and found that their son (here representing DJs and their mixes) hasn't cleaned his room and given him a beating because they're full of pent up frustration and it's easier than facing the real problems at hand.

Beyond this, my biggest gripe is it's just more proof that the spirit of Rock and Roll is dead. At times like this we all have to ask ourselves "What would G.G. Allin do?"

One thing's for sure, he wouldn't be caught dead reporting people on soundcloud for copyright infringement.

He'd be smearing himself in his own shit and throwing cymbals at people.

Exactly. Probably with some self-harming and drugs thrown in for good measure. There was a man who knew what Rock and Roll really meant.

I think the beginning of the end started in the early seventies when all the classically trained middle class fucks took over with their shit mainstream prog. Just the other day I stumbled on an interview with Yes guitarist, Steve Howe. He was supposed to be talking about guitars and that but he just wanted to rant about how he'd been robbed by the internet and how everybody owed him two months unpaid work to make up for his losses... Firstly, fuck off grandad. You made a shitload of money in the 70s but spunked it all away on cocaine and rose - not my problem pal. Secondly, anyone downloading torrents of Yes albums since torrents have existed is probably mentally ill and doesn't need your manky carcass giving them grief.

• Like 2

He'd be smearing himself in his own shit and throwing cymbals at people.

Secondly, anyone downloading torrents of Yes albums since torrents have existed is probably mentally ill and doesn't need your manky carcass giving them grief.

HA!

That "bait samples" stuff is bullllllshiiit IMO. Yeah, it's cool when you flip a sample beyond recognition and make something that still sounds good, or when you source something from a super obscure track that's gonna keep folks guessing for years, but the idea that if you sample and don't do either of those things that you're lazy or wack or whatever is pure nerd nonsense.