DV 10th anniversary scratch battle - prizes discussion

Steve

We plan to run another scratch battle on here this year. I'm not sure about the format yet, but it'll likely be a similar format to last year.

What I'm going to struggle with, are prizes. Can anyone here help out? Got any contacts or anything?

What I want to do is get any sponsors/prizes sorted first, so that their names can be on any promotional material that gets put out on social networks.

If you can help in any way, either post in this thread or PM me. Thanks!

Oh, and big thanks to Deft, who has paid for 4 copies of Symatic and Darcy's new scratch record as prizes.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

Oh, and big thanks to Deft, who has paid for 4 copies of Symatic and Darcy's new scratch record as prizes.

Immense work!

Cheers man. I think we're going to keep it the same as last year in terms of the format.

Round 1 = Cut over any beat you like. A mix of peer voting and judges (weighted in favour of the judges). Top 8 go through.

Round 2 = 1 Vs. 1 random match-ups. Beat is provided. Judges votes only.

Round 3 = The same as round 2.

Final round = The same as round 2, but spread over 3 rounds.

The time limit will get longer each round. The winner will be announced on Christmas Day.

Hopefully we can keep the same judging panel throughout this time, as we had a couple of judges go AWOL last year. Also, I want to do a better job for the sponsors and make sure they're all locked down before we begin, as last time only DJ-Tech were confirmed and then others jumped on board later, so it was harder to give them a mention. I want all their names/logos on the flyer this time. We'll also have a winner's certificate to give to the winner this year.

Excellent news.

Maybe it would also help to ask equipment stores and mention the amount of total plays of the DV Battle videos as there's been quite a few videos (of course you need to hope for them to think that each view comes from an individual person :p).

Also, a jpg with the DV logo and all the sponsors to put at the beginning of every video would be nice to promote the battle.

The only issue with having little intros on the vids is whether every DJ that enters knows how to do it. I can easily provide a clip that they can stick at the front of their entry. The other option would be for them to send me their videos and I could insert the intro clip for them, but that might be a bit of a pain, especially as last year a bunch of DJs uploaded their entries right at the last minute.

The other option would be to save the intro clip thing for the last 8, as it would be much easier to handle that way.

Assuming we can get anymore sponsors, they'll each have their logo featured on the promo flyer, plus they will get a mention in threads on here and other forums I post on, on the Facebook group I'll set up, and in the mass emails I'll send out.

So far I have asked DJ-Tech, Shure, Sennheiser, Custom Cans and Audio Innovate if they'd like to be sponsors, although I've not heard anything from any of them yet as I only contacted them yesterday/today. DJ Worx is already confirmed.

Sure, it's more of an idea. As most members are pretty techy and want to support the forum, I guess that the majority would include the clip in their videos. And people that don't know how to do it just leave it out and post a link in the video description or something.

I think it's just a nice addition that makes all entries feel more coherent but it probably shoudln't be an obligation.

Guest rasteri

Don't worry too much if you can't get high-value prizes, a lot of people will enter it just for the records.

And apparently I joined this forum in 2005?!? I only really started posting last year, that's gotta be the longest lurk session ever...

The SSS boys are going to donate some stuff again. Leighton is donating a couple of copies of his new battle record that comes out later this year. Oli from Scratch Pro Audio is donating some slipmats (probably Tablecloths).

I know we'll still get a decent amount of entries even if the prizes are all quite small, but I'll try my best to secure what prizes I can.

Although a single bigger prize is a good look (fingers crossed for DJ-Tech coming through) a sizeable bundle of records, slip mats and some dodgy SSS clobber is still a pretty good haul for a winner.

I did wonder about a whip round for a bigger prize but even if we could and did, I wouldn't be that keen on promoting a manufacturers product as a prize if they weren't prepared to get involved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, I'm struggling with this.

DJ-Tech didn't get back to me. Audio Innovate said they were in and they'd send me the exact details of what they were offering up, but I haven't heard from them in 2-3 weeks. Custom Cans weren't interested as they said they're a small business working on small profit margins, which is fair enough. Sennheiser and Shure didn't respond. :(

If anyone has any ideas, let me know, cos we're gonna start promoting it 10 days from now!

Not good news. I thought AI were coming through on this... any chance it's just poor communication rather than getting blown off?

Afraid I have nothing to contribute in terms of industry connections for prizes.

Would definitely be best if we can get at least one main prize/sponsor.