Rodec Scratchbox

I got myself a Scratcbox for cheap (400 euro), everything is working great but i would like to replace the line faders with digital faders, the Innofader is a bit expensive, the infinium fader is pretty dope, very smooth

Anyone know where i can buy the infinium digital fader? i contacted Rodec but i dont think they have stock left.

tnx

Yo Jeff, welcome to the cheap Scratchbox club!

I did this to mine through the UK Rodec distributer about 6 months ago. He had no trouble getting them then, but if Rodec aren't sure that might not be a good sign... they were only sold through Rodec or official distributers AFAIK. Might be worth an email though?..

andy@total-impact.co.uk

I think you're right to stick to the Infiniums over the Innofader too, personally I much prefer them and they're a big part of what I like about the mixer. Plus it was built for them so you know it'll always be reliable.

ah thanks, i think the Infinium company shut down? i can't see then anymore

Yes i prefer them over the Inno, very light and easy adjustable, pretty much the best xfader i ever used (close to the Eternal)

Ill def send him an email. or else i'll contact Rodec again as im not sure my enquiry got through

Thanks again Rockwell, the Scratchbox kicks azz fo sho!

This reminded me I should get some more Infinium faders. I'm going to buy up the world's supply.

Already beat you to it on that one ;)

Infinium are definitely gone as of the last year or so. Although the boards on both the Rodec and Mackie versions of their faders were bespoke, you used to be able to buy the rest of it for £16 and spares for pounds, if not pence. Plus Infinium were obviously supplying whole units to the relevant companies.

It doesn't help us of course, but Infinium might not have gone bust - not long before they disappeared, they started making a different optical fader for Behringer and I often wondered if they subsequently been absorbed in their empire. Something that someone with more industry knowledge that me also said he'd heard. I'm sure this is only good news for future Behringer products though, not Infinium's past customers.

Guest rasteri

It doesn't help us of course, but Infinium might not have gone bust - not long before they disappeared, they started making a different optical fader for Behringer and I often wondered if they subsequently been absorbed in their empire.

I was wondering that too, since Behringer branded Infiniums seem to be in plentiful supply.

Yes, I also got that impression from him... I think he might have even asked me the exact same question. He's a one man distribution company for a few products (who's wife sometimes answers the phone and barely seems to know who he is, let alone know what a 'Rodec' is). That said, don't let it put you off - he got me two of them in about a week and most importantly, he didn't say "no".

HI Jeff

I have spoken to RODEC Belgium and they say the digital line fader never went into production only the crossfader.

Is it the crossfader that you want?

I can get them they aren’t cheap £100 each!

Let me know if you want them.

Many thanks

Andy

The digital line fader? why is it so hard to understand that the xfader can be used as line fader in the Scratcbox?

Seriously 100 GBP each? Might as well get me an Innofader for that.

How much did he charge you Rockwell?

I think you have to just say "yes I want to buy some more digital cross faders for my mixer" to make life easy for yourself.

He gave me the same "but they aren't cheap" line but I'm sure they weren't that much...

Actually I've just found the old email and although I was thinking they were about £75 each, my final invoice for two with VAT added was £172.80. So better but not by much. I wonder if the last supply of them are selling at a slight premium?

It's totally subjective and I can't tell another man how to spend his money, but I'd still take the Infiniums all day over Innos. I know some people love them and I do quite like them, but I prefer the cut on these Infiniums. To me the cut is crisper, there's no messing about with setup, I can live without the Inno's slightly different cut-in and cut-out points and somehow they always feel less direct to me (a bit like your driving by wire rather than a direct physical connection). Plus when Paul put 3 of them in an 08, it was pretty sweet until the amount of power they were drawing blew something inside the mixer. Of course, these are just my own views and I realise that Innofaders respond and behave slightly differently in different mixers.

I guess I wouldn't mind them too much as just up faders, but half my reason for changing them was to also keep as spares for the cross fader.

I'm not the greatest scratcher Jeff, definitely nowhere near your standard. But I find I can pull off better cuts with more clarity on the Infiniums than anything else and if was making a list, I'd definitely have Rane TTM, Ecler Eternal, Vestax CF-x2 and Pro X Fade in one order or another before the Innofader.

Like I say, this is just my (nerdy) take on it and I know plenty of DJs who swear by them (maybe you're even one of them?), I realise that everyone's got their own personal preferences and this probably matters more than one fader or another being "the best".

I had 3 innofaders in the past in my Xone2:02 but sometimes they started bleeding, prob cause they are very sensitive faders and need to be properly isolated from the mixer body/plate. I didnt like the fader caps on them, i prefer the Rodec caps with the x-shape but they fit 4mm stems instead of 8 so i cant swap them on the Innofader.

Yes 3 innos can be tricky as they take much power, im sure many ppl have busted their mixers with the inno, either not properly isolated or just something technical issues.

I made my descision to still get the Infinium even if its 100 each. I think it cant get better than that also judging by your opinon and experience..

haha thanks for the props on my cuts, my last track (cut combat) i did with the scatchbox, i find doing crabs is going easier now, better grib on the fader cap.

I asked Rodec Belgium for a price so i'll wait how much they ask, if its 100euro a piece then of course i wont order from andy.

Thanks!

Jeff - yeah, hope I was of some help (not like the headphone thread, where I was twat).

Like you say, it's not always plain sailing with three Innos in a mixer. The 08 seems fine with 1 or 2, but 3 was definitely to much for it - confirmed by the electronics expert who fixed Paul's one. Although it's great to be able to put a propriety fader into almost any mixer, it's still not as good as having a mixer built around a particular fader.

I hear you on both the Rodec fader caps and crabbing prowess. The caps are odd at first, particularly on a really cold day when the seem to slip out of your hand too easily. But once you're into them they work well. Between them and the crisp well calibrated cut, good crabs are always possible - actually, crabs feature heavily in my limited repertoire and I've always found they sound a bit ragged on an Inno, so maybe that's where my prejudices come from?

Oh and now I know "Combat Cuts" was done on a Scratchbox, I like it even more now ;)

mfsop - the fader stem, rails and possibly even mirrors might be transferable but the board probably wouldn't be and I don't know what that clear bit of plastic is for. Although the basic Infinium fader mechanism was pretty cheap, the board on the bottom of it was specific to each individual company and apart from just getting it basically cut the sound in and out, the real work is in the calibration and how it works with the mixer's circuitry. Something Rodec claimed to have spend much time and research on for the Scratchbox.

@Rockwell

I sent email to Rodec but either their mail system doesn't work or they don't want my money, so andy seems my only choice now to get 2, im not going to order yet, maybe ill contact him in a month or 2

The 3 innos worked well in the Xone2:02 without any sound difference, or disturbance but in other mixers they dont like the 08 you mentioned and also i tried in the Nuo:2.0 didnt work either, sound was too low.

yeah the fader caps slip at beginning, they are solid build unlike the Inno, wich are soft plastic caps.

Crabs are going well now :)

haha thanks, just uploaded a new mix on my SC using the SB (lol you get it)

I'll check out that mix when I get home tonight.

Also, you've just jogged my memory to something I should have remembered before. Before I found that Andy guy, I emailed the address on Rodec's site and also got ignored.

I don't know of you've noticed, but the Rodec caps are actually plaits with a metal coating (yes, I know I'm a nerd for knowing this).

I'll check out that mix when I get home tonight.

Also, you've just jogged my memory to something I should have remembered before. Before I found that Andy guy, I emailed the address on Rodec's site and also got ignored.

I don't know of you've noticed, but the Rodec caps are actually plaits with a metal coating (yes, I know I'm a nerd for knowing this).

Now i understand why ppl go for Rane also because of great customer service and easy to order parts.

Small companies like Rodec you wont get much support, i think same with Ecler.

Yes the metal doesnt wear out like the silver sprayed caps on the Vestax PMCs, im sure yours turned white as well lol

Ok man, its a west coast mix pre-gangster rap era