What should I do with my SP-303?

10 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do with my SP-303?

• Sell it to d00bney at a huge price
    • Let d00bney keep it on loan and take it to Korea for Kim Jong Un to steal
    • Take it back off d00bney and lock him away in my wanking cupboard

Guest Symatic

Ugh, that one looks the shiz abd i aleays wanted one, but having owned a 404 i think id ve dissapointed. Ill give you 25 quid

The 404 is the more modern version - so more pads, functions, FX, better storage, etc. But the critics bemoan the converters, claiming they're harsh, bright and cheap sounding - I have no personal experience of this though.

The 303 on the other hand, is revered for its converters and overall sound - especially for something so cheap, it's warm, smooth and reasonable punchy. I think part of the appeal of the 303 was it was a landmark point for budget samplers, old enough to have character but new enough to not be a total pain in the arse.

Some might compare the 303 to an MPC 2000XL and the 404 to an MPC 1000 - in both cases, how much value you place in the convenience of features and functions vs. a slight difference in sound quality is up the individual and highly subjective.

If doob doesn't I defo do. Was just looking for one of these on eBay last week. And my computer died on me so I'd get some use out of it. I even promise to use it in the next beat battle!

I've got an SP-505. I was gonna give it away but then realised I have no other equipment that has a mic input! Could have been a silly move!

That was my 505th post and I was talking about a '505. Spooooooooky!

• Like 1

Why does d00b even want it? Surely he's taking a laptop, and IMO better just sticking to Ableton

The dub delay on it is what i want it for, sounds so dope!

Plus it's got a pretty nice "sound" for making drums sound crunchy.

Why does d00b even want it? Surely he's taking a laptop, and IMO better just sticking to Ableton

Piss taking aside, for dubby delays have you considered a Roland RE-201 Space Echo VST emulation or even Roland's modelled pedal version?

Same for crunchy drums - that D16 VST, or I use the SP and MPC60 emulations in Maschine with a bit of other undisclosed special sauce.

Piss taking aside, for dubby delays have you considered a Roland RE-201 Space Echo VST emulation or even Roland's modelled pedal version?

Same for crunchy drums - that D16 VST, or I use the SP and MPC60 emulations in Maschine with a bit of other undisclosed special sauce.

Yeah you should totes do that so dopp can give it to me! :8