embedded streaming background videos

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

for the new site at work I've been creating some short (15s or so) looping videos which embed as part of the top of the page. they autoplay on load and cycle as long as the page is open (in theory - I've not left it open for ever, but you get the idea).

the videos are encoded in webm and work great in the latest version of Chrome. in other browsers (Firefox, ie for example) they don't work and just display the screen shot background image I included to cater for browser incompatibilities. I tried encoding the video as ogv but it looks like utter horseshit - do I need to include it as mp4 also? the file size of an mp4 video is more than double that of the webm counterpart and it feels like asking a user to autoload upto 10mbs of video for a page is less than ideal and could also potentially seriously affect our bandwidth usage and therefore increase website running costs. the latter is nominal, I know, but I have to account for all these things and provide sufficient bandwidth so this needs taking into account.

anyone got any advice on this stuff? is there a way to make ogv not look shite? I'm using Miro to convert from original MP4 Vegas renders but it looks horrific

Guest petesasqwax

yeah man, almost exactly twice the webm (i.e. 6mb vs 3mb webm). not HUGE files though, I guess, but I'm thinking: if there's, say, 3 or 4 videos across the site and they visit each page with a video on, that's 20-30mb of bandwidth per visitor which could potentially soon add up to a chunk of bandwidth usage.

Pete, what bitrate are you rendering the mp4 files at?....and what about the ogv?

If you are already compressing the mp4 quite a bit then again for ogv it might not look so great.

If you can't renderout ogv files natively (which I know vegas doesn't) I'd recommend rendering out as a high res file (mpeg-2 bluray) first then use a program caled 'super' for your 2nd gen render.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Might help you control your bitrate a bit better.

....worth a shot!

- B

Guest petesasqwax

awesome stuff, thanks a load mate. the original mp4 is the highest bitrate Vegas caters for but obviously far higher bitrates are possible in other formats. I used Miro because it was great for webm but the ogv offers no bitrate settings and the default seems to make 15s of video=1mb and look like utter shit (8bit esque, seriously!)