Ragga DJ mixes

djdiggla

What is difference?

I'm not an expert so this is my dumbed down explanation. Dancehall is more sung and still has a roots vibe since its still usually a band of musicians playing the riddim. Raga is much more raw sounding. Usually Rapping so sounds more like Jamican hiphop. Most often beats are made with a keyboard so has that real synths feel and more modern synthetic bass. It also seems like the time sig is different but I don't know much about music theory... I think raga is 2/2 and dancehall is 3/4 or 4/4. I'm sure someone can correct me on that.

I got Inna Dancehall but that's more dancehall than ragga

In which case you're gonna have to clarify what you mean by "ragga"... if you mean the heavier more modern stuff like Bounty Killer, Elephant Man, Ward 21, etc, you're looking for "Bashment". Although I've got some of the records, the Shortkut mix I mentioned before is the only one I've ever had. I'm sure there's plenty out there, but it's not really my specialty I'm afraid.

• Like 1

What is difference?

Ragga came after dancehall and is a current genre. Nobody really makes dancehall anymore.

In which case you're gonna have to clarify what you mean by "ragga"... if you mean the heavier more modern stuff like Bounty Killer, Elephant Man, Ward 21, etc, you're looking for "Bashment". Although I've got some of the records, the Shortkut mix I mentioned before is the only one I've ever had. I'm sure there's plenty out there, but it's not really my specialty I'm afraid.

Bashment is just generic for Jamaican music of any kind. But yeah, that's the stuff... those are ragga artists. Capleton, Buju, Mad Cobra, etc.

Bashment is just generic for Jamaican music of any kind. But yeah, that's the stuff... those are ragga artists. Capleton, Buju, Mad Cobra, etc.

Sorry, got to correct you on that man. Bashment is a genre and is more club orientated, examples below. There's still new reggae, dub and dancehall being made and released all the time, none of which are related to bashment. I consider ragga a more aggressive sub strand of dancehall? The guys you mentioned are all dancehall artists but are associated with the ragga sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vlsCRnoDlg

What is difference?

Ragga came after dancehall and is a current genre. Nobody really makes dancehall anymore.

Well that's the Texan version of events, in Jamaica (the other home of dancehall)...

Throughout the 80's the genre was referred to as "Dancehall" after the place the music was made for. In the early 90's the term "ragga" was briefly used but it was more often used to sell the music abroad and most artists still considered them themselves as "dancehall" or "raggamuffins". As the music changed throughout the nineties, Jamaicans differentiated the newer harder style as "Bashment", although still to this day the artists speak of themselves as "dancehall artists" or as makers of "dancehall music". Much like reggae, dancehall is often used to refer to more than just one sub-genre or genre and of course it's still where the music is made for and where a record is broken/made a hit.

What is difference?

Well that's the Texan version of events, in Jamaica (the other home of dancehall)...

Throughout the 80's the genre was referred to as "Dancehall" after the place the music was made for. In the early 90's the term "ragga" was briefly used but it was more often used to sell the music abroad and most artists still considered them themselves as "dancehall" or "raggamuffins". As the music changed throughout the nineties, Jamaicans differentiated the newer harder style as "Bashment", although still to this day the artists speak of themselves as "dancehall artists" or as makers of "dancehall music". Much like reggae, dancehall is often used to refer to more than just one sub-genre or genre and of course it's still where the music is made for and where a record is broken/made a hit.

Yep ^^

I stand (partially) corrected:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragga

Ragga is a sub-genere of dancehall

I've never heard bashment used as an identifying genre or even oft used in any way but maybe it's just not a popular term here... Wiki says it's either a generic term, a big party or an alt word for dancehall.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashment

What is difference?

Ahh interesting. I guess it's like how Cumbia can mean so many different things here.

Yeah the terms are a little different here. Ragga (short for raggamuffin) is the more dominant term (at least from what I've seen). Dancehall seems to be used real specifically here for a certain era/style. Bashment rarely seen used.

Sorry I can't provide much help with mixes. I can recommend good contemporary dub, reggae and bashment djs/shows though.

Yeah man hit me up with some current bashment and dub DJs! Is the dub artists I listed above what is considered dub in the UK too or is that different?

No dub is what you've mentioned there, basically.

The term ragga sounds a bit 90s to me, as Rockwell kind of hinted at. It's not something you'd see a section for in a record shop.

Most record stores here just shove everything in the international section under "Jamaica" :/

Sorry I can't provide much help with mixes. I can recommend good contemporary dub, reggae and bashment djs/shows though.

Yeah man hit me up with some current bashment and dub DJs! Is the dub artists I listed above what is considered dub in the UK too or is that different?

Yep. Like all genres you get various styles within it, but that traditional roots dub sound is still played. Even though it's fairly underground there's still a strong soundsystem scene in the UK for dub.

Although they're not hugely well known, a couple of friends have a decent playlist on 22tracks covering a lot of new dub and roots reggae that i'd recommend. It gets updated fairly regularly:

http://22tracks.com/#!ldn/reggaedub

• Like 1