Norton SystemWorks

Jahli

Alright, i run system works and a few other anti-virus/spyware/regestry edit programs while i'm connected to the net. they run fine no probs etc..

the problem comes in when i disconnect and want to work on some music. everything else turns off fine, but norton won't stop hogging ALL my resources. I've gone through and turned everything off manually in it, but to no avail, it's still running and eating up my proccessor.

any tips on how to shut the goddamn thing off totally?

Guest Deeswift

Get rid of it, Norton System Works is trash man, get Kaspersky Anti Virus and Sygate Personal Pro Firewall. Honestly, I'm not being a software fascist but anyone who knows shit about PC's doesn't use Norton.

BTW, when you said you use other anti virus programs, you mean you run something other than Norton to catch viruses? That'd be a bad idea, if so.

I would say these are vital apps:

Kaspersky AV

Sygate firewall

CrapCleaner

RegSeeker

Hijack This!

Ad-aware for quick removal of most spy / ad / scumware.

nah, it's the only anti-vi i run, i just run Ad-watch pro with it to stop any regestry changes without my approval and do the daily scan with ad-aware pro. i've got a firewall already.

got a link to kaspersky, although i'm not buying anything else. i've got a full version (registered and all) of norton for free that gets the job done and i highly doubt i'll be changing that unless it's for something else free.

i just need to know how to turn the bloody thing off.

i really don't wanna hear norton this/that, just how to turn it off. if all else fails i'll just not get online on this computer (all i have to do is go upstairs and use the one in the office.)

Guest Deeswift

OK, but I don't see the point of keeping it. Apart from ending the processes with Task Manager I'm not sure how you can stop it. Regarding Ad-watch, do you need to have it running all the time? What's gonna change your registry? I guess if you visit dodgy sites and stuff you may have a point, but using a browser like Firefox cuts down that problem drastically anyway. It's gotten to the point now where I don't even bother with an anti-virus or anti-spyware apps, they never find anything on my system so they're pointless. I have Kaspersky on here but it only ever gets started manually when / if I suspect I need it. Ad-aware doesn't do much apart from find MRU entries occasionally. Only thing I use is Hijack This, once in a blue moon just to double ckeck everything's OK.

As you mentioned that Kaspersky isn't free, are you against "free" (ahem) software?