New hardware MPC?

I've not a fan of Akai since the takeover when they became Nukai... I think they saved money in the wrong places on the hardware and the 1000 and 2500 were completely propped up by JJOS. Then I think that had to let NI show them the way with Maschine and that side of things. All that moaning aside, this is interesting... looks to be something similar to the now defunct Open Labs products.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/new-akai-mpc-to-run-windows-embedded-598055

although i'm thinking they must be crazy to put windows on that thing, it does kind of make sense.

the last few iterations of the mpc were all pc based short shelf life bits of crap with an mpc personality. supporting windows software for the lifetime of a studio product is a lot of work. so like this they get to keep the codebase from the mpc Renaissance, and they don't get stuck supporting yet another bit of software through the next 3 versions of windows.

as soon as i feel rich enough i'm getting an mpc, but i'll be staying away from all the usb controller things, thats for sure.

i'd be more likely to buy this than the renaissance, but i'l probaly get an mpc 1000.

Guest petesasqwax

as long as you can get along with the smaller pads, the 1000 with the JJOS on it is basically as good as it gets, I reckon. I'm still tempted to get another one at some point

yeah, i'm pretty sold on the idea of an mpc 1000 with jjos.

the smaller pads are not really a big deal, what i need is a box with a sampler and a sequencer in it that just works and lets me switch my computer off. something i can switch on and start making music,

i haven't made a proper track since i sold my midi sequencer last century. i've tried cubase, ableton live, and lots of other daws but i just can't concentrate on a proper computer. i want something with a small, hard to read lcd, that can't load plugins.and dosent have a web browser.

daws are good for recording though, having as many compressors as you need without selling the car is great.

Guest petesasqwax

see, I don't know what Open Labs is so that sailed straight past, but on reexamination Chris has used the duplicity of the English language to perform what is known as a "play on words" or "pun" - one which gains extra points for referencing female genitalia (specifically: labia) and the freeform nature of (generally urban) language ("slang"). here he has benefited from the duplicitous nature of the term "the lick" employing to mean the literal ("to place ones tongue upon an object") and slang (something being appreciated and of good quality) meanings.

I'd like to say at this point to Chris, on behalf of all of DV:

well played, sir, well played

• Like 2