Should I Switch to Traktor?

Well i plugged in my serato box into a USB hub and it seems like it fried my damn card. I called Rane today and they said it could cost up to $150 to fix the card not to mention I would need to pay for shipping both ways... So my question is should I just switch to Traktor?

Here is what I use in a DVS loops, cues, and cutting. I really do dig the Serato GUI over Traktors but I don't know if I am willing to pay that much for a more simplistic GUI. Also it looks like you can route the effects on Traktor to the Send/Recieve in the mixer and have post effects which would be nice.

Anyways here's my main question with the Traktor A6 can I route the audio to get post fader effects? Also is there anyone here who made the jump from Serato to Traktor with any advice?

Thanks

A6 allows for post fade fx and the looprecorder (sampler) very straight forward to set up to. NI interfaces can be quiet when running live inputs/phono through them so having fx loops with wet and dry volume controls does help to get the best out of using hardware fx loop for post fade fx and sampling in Traktor.

I switched from Serato to Traktor and at first I wasn't sure if I'd made the right decision, but now I have no regrets. I think either a Z2 and Traktor or a 62 with Serato is the way to go these days and the former is considerably cheaper than the latter.

I was going to buy a Traktor setup, but then watched a grip of Traktor skratch vids on Youtube and it's all sounded like digital cutting. Just didn't sound right. Serato though, 57 and up, sounds dope.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

the "digital cutting" is what bothers me most about DVS systems

I got the cheapest set up I could find and I'm sure I'll get comments about getting what you pay for in that regard, but I haven't really been completely happy with the sound quality of any of the units out there

I've only once done a side by side for difference in sound for scratching and it was a couple of years back. I found Traktor to be far superior on super slow record movements where as ssl was noticeable digitised when doing super slow record movements. On the flip side I thought ssl was more accurate at hi speed stuff, this was a couple of years back and on different setups so do what ya will with that info, that said I've read similar findings elsewhere.

I 100% agree with Steve that having a mixer with the interface and software controls is the best way to go. Latency is improved slightly but overall having the software at your fingers tips really makes the most out of going digital for me

• Like 1

It's basically only about convenience and placement of the controls. The Z2 does the job of mixer, sound card and MIDI controller all in one unit, with conveniently placed buttons and knobs. Also, I think the Z2 offers really good value for money at £650. An A6 is £250. A decent MIDI controller is £150+. Then you've got to budget for a mixer with decent faders too. Obviously in your case, that's not applicable though as you have a solid mixer already.

A 56, A6 and a decent MIDI controller will do the same thing - some MIDI controllers have more mappable pads/knobs on them than the Z2 - but it's not as compact a set up and the placement of the controls isn't as good.

If I was you, I would try a Z2 and see what you think. Perhaps consider dumping the 56 in favour of one, but if you try it and prefer the 56, just grab an A6 and MIDI controller and you'll be good.

I should mention that Traktor post fade fx mode doesn't play well with a 56 as you can't boost the quiet fx loop coming from Traktor. Apart from Ecler I've tested most scratch mixers with fx loop in an attempt to find an ideal solution to get the best out of post fade sampling via Traktors looprecorder. When I'm done at work I'll post up my findings and shed a bit more light on the problem

Basically theres 2 problems, 1 -Traktors quiet output, 2 - Fx loops on scratch mixers are not versatile enough to compensate. I found that mixers like Pioneer 909/707, Rane 56, Allan & Heath 02 that don't have means to independently boost return or send signals don't work well with Trakors send fx. Once a channel fx loop is activated on these mixers you get an all WET signal that seems to be 50% quieter than the dry signal. The Rane 56 wet&dry fade just balances the completely unaffected signal with the returning effect signal, works fine with hardware fx. But with Traktor, not setting the rane wet & dry fade all the way to wet gives an undesired phasing effect.

Mixers like ScratchBox, Makie d.2, Vestax 08, 05-IV have the more advanced fx loop controls so they can be adjusted to work well with Traktor send fx. The Vestax 08 is the only scratch mixer I’ve tested that works exceptionally well (or as it bloody should) with the loop recorder thanks to signal boosters for the fx loop on the rear panel which makes up for the stupidly quiet returning fx signal.

There is a 2nd gen Traktor Audio 10 which has louder outputs, I’ve not tested the new model so I’m not sure if the louder outputs have solved the issue. I’m not aware of 2nd gen Audio 6, the 1st model has the same problems described above.

My self and Matt/Rock Well did find a work around, Matt has a dirt cheap Alesis multi fx unit which we hooked up in between the fx output from the Audio 6/10 and the return input of his Rane 56. We then just used the volume on the fx box to bring the wet signal to the correct level.

Despite send fx output short comings Traktor in general is incredibly versatile, but thats probably the same reason why its been a massive buggy wanker over the last 12 months. The current version (2.6.8 I think) has been solid to date but I get the feeling ever since the Remix decks were created the whole software needs a rebuild. One thing that NI do better than anyone else IMHO is software hardware integration, the Z2 just like the rest of there hardware is a joy to work with.