REGSEEKER

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

As recommended here at DV in dozens of threads, it was about time RegSeeker had a thread of it's own...

.:. RegSeeker .:.

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

From the website...

RegSeeker is a perfect companion for your Windows registry! RegSeeker includes a powerful registry cleaner and can display various informations like your startup entries, several histories (even index.dat files), installed applications and much more! With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry. RegSeeker also includes a tweaks panel to optimize your OS! Now RegSeeker includes a file tool to search for duplicate files, bad shortcuts and more!

In that description, they sound rather excited about it, due to the placement of exclamation marks. This is actually good software though. Having tried many different registry cleaners, in my opinion this is the best because in over 2 years of use it hasn't screwed my registry up once. Other cleaners have!

:@@

Despite the other features, it's the registry cleaning section that matters here. First off, download RegSeeker and place the folder anywhere you want on your hard drive. C:\Program Files is the obvious one, so put it there unless you want it on a different drive. Right-click the regseeker.exe and choose "Send To" from the context menu. Send it to the Desktop to create a shortcut.

Now, before anything else, run CrapCleaner. Find it here.

Double left-click the shortcut to open RegSeeker and click Clean the Registry. You might wanna check the box for Scan Drives for old .exe entries in registry too. Click the OK button. RegSeeker will analyze the registry. If you have never cleaned the registry before, this could take a few minutes. After the first run, RegSeeker should take less time (once the bulk of the junk is removed).

When it's done it's thing, click Select All. Now right-click the entries and choose to delete them. Don't worry about anything it brings up, delete it anyway -- RegSeeker makes backups of everything it deletes so you can restore your registry to how it was before, should anything go wrong (highly unlikely). Alternatively, you can exclude certain entries, or you can carefully go through them and delete one by one. No point though!

Various other features are useful. There's a Tweaks section, a list of all your Startup entries, a section for erasing history / cookies, etc and you can also erase index.dat files...

Also, I like to finish off with NTREGOPT. There's a thread about it here.

These 3, free applications are probably all you need for a clean system and a compact, junk free registry. Don't go paying for software that does the same thing.

• 1 month later...

This is top advice - I do it all the time. Just one thing though, I usually run them all one after another. If you do the same, after you have run RegSeeker you either need to reboot or end and restart the Explorer process otherwise NTREGOPT will scan your registry before RegSeeker cleaned it.

Guest Deeswift

This is true, and I think I made a point of mentioning this in the NTREGOPT thread, but nice one for for pointing it out here, Steve. The triple whammy of CrapCleaner, RegSeeker, then finishing off with NTREGOPT is the best order of cleaning. Do this on a regular basis, but don't go crazy with any registry cleaning apps. A couple of times a week should be sufficient to keep the registry in good shape.