scratching stereo or mono

waxdestroyer

ive always recorded my cuts in stereo but come to think of will it make a difference if i just record in mono and just pan the individual tracks left to right to create a stereo effect?

the reason why im asking is im working on a new song but it will be faster and easier to record in mono and it will safe a lot of space on my multitrack recorder (and eventually less DAW editing)

Guest petesasqwax

I can't see how it would make any massive difference unless the samples you're cutting are stereo for any particular reason (i.e. hard panned instruments or frequencies)

I can't see how it would make any massive difference unless the samples you're cutting are stereo for any particular reason (i.e. hard panned instruments or frequencies)

most samples im using are stereo from original records, occasionally i use battle sounds wich are probably mono recorded so with those ill mono record...im also gonna drop some beats over the loop so it will be best to just record them in stereo and the short stabs/sounds in mono.

Currently im keeping it simple with an 8-track recorder, i dont have too much space for a bigger one and im also trying to keep away from audio interface software recording (not patient enough to work with a laptop lol, i just want to press real rec buttons)

Anyway thanks, work in progress

Guest rasteri

TBH it's a good general rule to record everything in mono, then pan/reverb it during the mixdown to add stereo. It avoids phasing issues and you get better control over the stereo image.

Guest rasteri

Certainly when playing live I'll always set the mixer to mono. Some bars in my city have the left channel speakers in a completely different room from the right...

Guest Symatic

i noticed a couple of scratches i use are stereo and its really ofputting in the headphones. the only time i've thought it was good was scratching the Star Trek sfx of the door opening, it pans and can be used well, but yeah stereo's generally annoying for cutting.

Guest petesasqwax

i have to admit, I don't think I've ever really paid a lot of attention to it when I've been cutting live, but then I've generally stuck to standard scratch record type shit so it would have been mono anyway