In Reply to Eric UK's post about Qbert...

Dopez

I think I have a fun story to share with you all. This past week has been SXSW, a big event with many shows during the week of Spring Break in Austin, Texas. This year I wanted to attend (plus I had a gig for once :p) so I opted to stay with the well known DJ Enfoe (still cuts a little and he's still super nasty af). So there was a show after my gig featuring Qbert x Shiftee where all you needed to do was RSVP.

http://grownkidsradio.com/sxsw/

Enfoe and I RSVP'd for the show and we were ready to attend. Tuesday night, I finished playing my set at a venue some two blocks away and with my mixer and gear packed into my backpack, I was ready to attend the show. The poster listed that Shiftee would play at 11 and Qbert at 12 with some other forgettable acts. Enfoe and I walked and waited in line for a short while until it was our turn to be admitted. The doorman (who looked to be on some illicit substances) asked for our IDs to prove we were who we were. After a quick check of the IDs, our names were checked off the list and we were going to get our wristbands. Enfoe stuck out his hand like in a catholic mass to receive the body of Christ from our addict priest. Then, me stupidly, I stuck out my hand palms down to show a big fat "X" written in sharpie from the gig I previously played. The doorman looks at me and says, "Sorry man, 21+, I don't want to lose my job, etc... " while his supervisor told me to get out of the line and quit wasting time. I stepped around the gate near the door and asked Enfoe if he wanted to go in and if so I'll just find something else to do. Being the surrogate father he was for those 4 days I stayed with him, he said that it's all good and that we weren't missing much (while hearing Shiftee's Native Instruments routine where he paws at the Maschine like a cat). We waited for a little outside of the venue trying to figure out what we could do.

Our of the shadows, in the alley, a mysterious five foot zen presence came into our optic receptors. It was none other than DJ Qbert himself. Qbert bypassed and went to the doorman. Enfoe quickly chimed in and said, "Hey Qbert, it's Enfoe". Qbert looked at Enfoe with an exaggerated smile and like a 33 record played at 45 chirped, "YoEnfoeWhatsGood". Enfoe said, "Yo Q I've got a big fan here who wants to see your show but he's 19 and he RSVP'd..." and before he could even get the words out, Qbert said, "AlrightSeeYouGuysInside! ;)" and disappearing inside of the venue. Enfoe and I looked at each other and not to sound gay or anything, I was really disappointed.

Enfoe and I started to walk back to the previous venue and we ran into a local Austin DJ who left the Qbert show for unrelated reasons. He said, "Yo Dopez, take my wristband and try to put it on." After two acts of wrist contortion, a scrub of the sharpie on my hands, shirt turned inside out, hat removed, I was a new person. I walked back twenty minutes later, flashed my wristband to the doorman and was allowed inside. Enfoe followed shortly. I was in the show and Qbert was about to perform.

We waited and the man himself arose on stage in front of us mere humans. With a quick release of his left deck, the track began to play. The poster said we were going to get an exclusive performance. I eagerly awaited to hear what sounds would make me wet my panties. What happened next was rad. Qbert let his long, drawn out, imitation D-styles, percussion and bare melodies play out and mixed in a poor fashion. He did his drum routine he's been performing since 2003 and he cut an ahh/fresh for what seemed to be a total of two minutes. Enfoe and I walked out early disgusted with what we had witnessed.

As for a conclusion, I don't to come off as a butt hurt fan because Qbert didn't look me in the eyes or shake my hand, but with all the shit on Facebook about Qbert not being who he really is, taking credit for other people's work, it really made me reconsider how I thought of the best scratcher of all time.

On a lighter note, Babu, Rhett, and D-Styles were all in town and I got to speak to them for a bit. I met D at a show earlier this year and when I approached him with Enfoe he said, "Yoo Dopez! What's up man!? Good to see you out here! Are you going to the cut session tomorrow at Dub Academy?" I replied briefly and gave him a firm shake of the hand and a pat on the back before he went backstage to get ready for his performance. A great show was had and all was well. Hope you enjoyed my anecdote!

Edit: I got to cut with D-Styles for a little bit on stage at the first show I met him at.

http://instagram.com/p/jcSzdNyxg2/

• Like 3

Guest petesasqwax

Fucking superb anecdote man. Hope you had a good gig (your own, not Q's!) and at least the Junkies never let you down!

I reckon loads of us have got stories to share - maybe we should do that in this thread?

I remember years ago - some time in the early 2000s - Craze and Push Button Objects came to Sheffield to do a Ko-Wreck Technique in "the birth place of Warp records". For anyone who knows Sheffield. it was at The Workstation (where The Designers Republic is based). I was running late and guttingly missed PBO's laptop set (Tom from Lex was there with Edgar and his description of how good it was made me want to hit things) but I got there just in time for Craze to go on. The room he played is just a large open space with no stage or anything like that, so we were literally stood right in front of the decks. He started warming up and doing a few routines but before long another guy stepped up alongside him - relatively tall, skinny white dude with a baseball cap pulled low. Craze announced that he wanted to us to welcome the newest member of The Allies and then he and Klever went back and forth for a good hour at least - Q&Aing and doing little routines and the lot. It was fucking unreal. At the end I got Craze to sign my copy of the EP he did for Zoo York ("Obsessive Compulsive Disorder") and got Klever to sign a flyer for the event (which he did... with 2 Ls - fucking lol). When I passed Craze the EP he looked at me bugged out and asked "you like this?" I was like "fuck yeah - it's some of the best shit you've done!"

• Like 1

What a great tale (way better than Eric's).

I'm glad you shared that, a think it sums up the current state of play pretty well - D Styles, the rest of The Beat Junkies and of course Enfoe are all dudes. Qbert, for all his talent seems to be a bit of a cynical, self-serving dick. This definitely the isn't first time I've heard about a very different Qbert off camera to the one doing the all the PR.

He's forever preaching about encouraging the new talent but when nobody's watching he can't even be bothered to be polite to you.

Perhaps he can't see a personal profit in you - maybe if you were a pretty, blonde female turntablist, with a fraction of your talent visiting from Russia however, you would have been splashed all over his Instagram daily?

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I thought that exchange between him and Disk on FB was particularly amusing/insightful. I have no issue with anyone who doesn't want to "support the next generation of tablists" or whatever - loads of DJs have no interest in that at all, so they don't run DJ schools or whatever else. Fine. If, though, your whole thing is to do exactly that, being a dick about it when you're not being paid/on camera is a straight-up bitch move

• Like 1

The poster listed that Shiftee would play at 11 and Qbert at 12 with some other forgettable acts.

You mean Chicken George and JBoogie??? :z :|

That's literally who I wanted to see most that night.... the "forgettable acts"

I heard that Q sucked tho like you said. This SXSW has totally sucked. The only thing I've done is that first little bit of the Beat Junkies show where I saw ya and a kids show with my son (Peelander Z!!! and Les Claypool!!). Everyone at home as a stomach bug which fucked my whole week. So lame. And I got the wrong size shirt in my Beat Junkies bag :wacko: So mad I couldnt make the Dub scratch sesh either! UGH! DAMNIT TINA!

The poster listed that Shiftee would play at 11 and Qbert at 12 with some other forgettable acts.

You mean Chicken George and JBoogie??? :z :|

That's literally who I wanted to see most that night.... the "forgettable acts"

I heard that Q sucked tho like you said. This SXSW has totally sucked. The only thing I've done is that first little bit of the Beat Junkies show where I saw ya and a kids show with my son (Peelander Z!!! and Les Claypool!!). Everyone at home as a stomach bug which fucked my whole week. So lame. And I got the wrong size shirt in my Beat Junkies bag :wacko: So mad I couldnt make the Dub scratch sesh either! UGH! DAMNIT TINA!

Well I'm a young snot-nosed kid who doesn't respect their elders plus I didn't know of Chicken George or JBoogie so I guess knowing them will come with age and time.

I also got the wrong sized shirt but I was able to get it swapped out for another. Also the Dub Academy scratch session was fun even though D-Styles couldn't show up, he was with Nick Nack and had too much BBQ rendering him to a food coma. Still was a good session, everyone from Houston and Dallas were pretty much there.

• Like 2