Transform thread..

chile

Post people what you like who do the transform scratch gud innit..

I'll start it off with H.O.P. from DIY vol 2. Always liked how he transitions from transforms to flare type techniques so seamlessly. still have no idea how he does it -

I'll start it off with H.O.P. from DIY vol 2. Always liked how he transitions from transforms to flare type techniques so seamlessly. still have no idea how he does it -

what bit do you mean exactly???

ocasionally (when i'm not unbelievably out of practice....which is seldom)... i think i have the fastest transforms in the world...

but i know i'm being an idiot.

but it is fun to think it...

Guest Symatic

I'm shit slow, because I've never figured out a good way to do it hamster style. If I switch to regular and hold the fader closed with my thumb, I can do it really fast by tapping the fader open with my finger.

i cant cut hamster to save my life, but i try to emulate hamster style with transforms by starting with the fader open and tapping out (off). this means theres one less action for me to do and when i get it right it sounds slightly nicer and less choppy, more like a snip i guess. its a good way to transition into flare techs as well i think.

what bit do you mean exactly???

ocasionally (when i'm not unbelievably out of practice....which is seldom)... i think i have the fastest transforms in the world...

but i know i'm being an idiot.

but it is fun to think it...

its there throughout whenever he quickly transitions from what begins as slower transforms to sudden bursts of 2 click orbit patterns.. you can see the minor adjustment in his fader hand.. he usually starts his phrasing with chirp, transform chirp patterns or transforms and then shifts efficiently into fast 2 clicks to finish off. Makes the fast stuff sound faster because its side by side with the funky slower stuff for comparison. He seems to do it by allowing the record to play forward after a transform and the fader is left open then he reverses the record and starts a run of two click orbits starting in reverse.. theres more to it than that though or id have it down

2 min 46 is one example where he starts with a forward/baby/transform repeating pattern and then the transform part of the pattern mutates into fast 2 click orbit patterns.

the only time i ever thought i had the fastest transforms was in my first year of cutting when i hadnt thought to use the internet yet for looking up scratching and only had dj hypes transforms as a reference point.. i thought i was the shit lol. classic dunning kruger effect

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate."

Thanks numnuts! When I posted above I was on my phone at work so couldn't embed videos... should have done it when I got home, but forgot.

When I'd had decks for about a year my friend lent me that Vestax video tutorial done by the perverts and I watched a few bits again and again - the Mr Thing Tribe routine was definitely one of them.

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I always thought his favoured combos was a chirp > 1 click orbit > crab orbit. Probably wrong though. Plus he's just very good at 1 click orbits and just has really nice technique.

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

And dat stabs. He does the lush-core stabs. They don't quite sound like other dude's ones, much more power to them.

Also see Flare for all of the above and transforms and that.