My laptop issues... advice?

savwar

1. For ages now i can't switch from pausing vlc player to watching a youtube clip in a browser and be able to hear both of them. I have to stop vlc and sometimes refresh the youtube page a number of times or vice versa.... I've tried updating drivers and there's been no improvement. it's really annoying..

2. Yesterday my taskbar and the whole of windows pretty much reverted to looking a bit like windows 95. tried a few things. tried a system restore, got 0xc0000022 error. tried from safe mode and numberous other things.. it wasn't in the performance/appearance option.. removed avast and comodo as they were highlighted in some places as being causes...was also getting "windows could not connect notification service" ended up having to Rename the file FontCache-System.dat to FontCache-System.old. and this magically worked. (after 5 hours being pissed off with it)

3 my browser stalls all the fucking time. granted i do have around 100 tabs open across my tabbed browsing...

4 i have no partition in my hard drive and i probably should to aid recovery, as i feel an impending disaster coming...

I've been thinking about doing a clean install. i don't have a windows 7 disk .... can i creat a usb boot up with something i download??

i've run malwarebytes and caught a few things.

I've removed a few other unnecessary programs, tried to reduce the amount of things on startup (both manually and with soluto (and then i ended up removing soluto as it takes about 3 seconds...))

do i need to do a hijack this log?

is there a good guide on anything else i can do?? (ill check DVKB stat!)

i feel like kicking it through a window.

my macs old and slow too. whine whine....

cheers man

well since i finally sorted the appearance issue i haven't done a system restore and thats when the 0xc0000022 occured.

maybe when i do the next update or install, i'll restore and see if i'm still getting the error...

well RAM isn't dirt cheap here, as all electronics are ludicrisly expensive. I'll get some when i'm back in ireland next month.

it couldn't hurt to upgrade anyway.

i'm getting a horrible clipping sound on my speakers occasionally too when i'm running a few things at once...

pain in the arse

If I was you, I'd back up all of your personal data and do a fresh install. If MalwareBytes found and removed things, system files may be damaged, or there may be something else lurking on your system.

Direct downloads for Windows 7 ISOs are in this thread: -

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=31455

They're legit downloads, but obviously you still need to enter in a license key when you install Windows. You don't need to bother with all of the other stuff mentioned in that thread if you don't want to.

• Like 2

yeah i was thinking the fresh install is probably the best idea. thanks lads.

i got a legit iso download from a link on pcworld.com and i have the key on the underside of my laptop.

cool that thread might speed up my updates. i'll give it a go.

apart from all my obvious files and shit, (i have my browser sync'd) and i'll write a list of important programs that i have

...is there anything else i should save before i wipe everything?

should i use one of those driver backups? or will i just be able to get them as i go along.

i think i'll spend friday/saturday doing this. cheers again.

If the version of Windows you downloaded from PC World doesn't have SP1 integrated into it, I'd go with one of the ISOs in the thread I linked you to. That saves you time and hard drive space in the long run.

Also, I don't know what the maximum amount of RAM is that your laptop can take, but if it's more than 4GB then you could install the 64 bit version of Windows 7. As long as you use the correct version (Home Premium, Professional etc.) then your license key covers you for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows. Then if you decided to add more RAM at a later date it'll be a simple upgrade.

Here's how I would approach the fresh install: -

1. Back up all of your personal data and anything else you'll want to keep (e.g. email contacts if you use an email client, perhaps your uTorrent folder with all of your torrents/settings in it - stuff like that).

2. Look at your Add or Remove Programs list and download the installers for any software you'll be reinstalling. Make sure you have the keys for any paid software.

3. Download the latest drivers for your hardware from the manufacturers' websites. While Windows will install WHQL (certified by MS) drivers automatically as long as they're available, it's handy to have the very latest versions available anyway, just in case. All I would grab are sound and video drivers, then maybe memory card and custom hotkey drivers assuming your laptop needs them (those should be available from the laptop manufacturer's website).

Then you're all set and you can do a fresh install of Windows, run Windows Update to grab the updates released since SP1 (unless you don't do the integrated thing discussed in that other thread), run through all the program and driver installers, restore your personal data, then do a bit of tidying up/customising and you're done.

The other way to do it would be to create 2 partitions - 1 for Windows and software and 1 for personal data. Once the machine is setup and running great, you can make a system image of partition 1 on an external drive or large USB stick, then you can back up the files on partition 2 as normal. Doing it that way means that you can quickly wipe and restore the machine using your system image if you ever need to, and it won't touch any of your personal data. That said, even if you only go with 1 partition on the drive, you can still create a system image if you like, but it would include all of your personal data in it as well.

• Like 2

i think the pcworld link links to that same page its the sp1 one - (X17-58997). My laptop (4GBRAM...) is running the 64bit version already.

i have most of the installations already i'd say but i'll go through the list of any i need.

and yeah good advice on the drivers... may aswell do the work before hand to save possible issues.

yeah i think i'll do the 2 partitions.at what stage does it give the option?

i have 450 available on my hd, i assume 80GB would probably be enough for windows and programs? at the minute all the program file folders and the windows folder are about 40GB.

When you go to install Windows it'll list existing partitions when it asks where you want to install it. Assuming there's absolutely nothing you want to keep, you can just delete them all (there may only be one) which will give you one big chunk of unpartitioned space. Then you select the option to create a new partition and you can manually type in the size in MB. Create one partition and install Windows on it, then from within Windows itself, launch Disk Management and you'll see a big chunk of unpartitioned space (the rest of your drive). You can right-click on that, create a new partition, format it and you're good to go.

Choosing the right size for the C partition is the hardest part about it IMO. You don't want to go too small, because you need to have enough room to install everything as well as leaving some breathing room, but you don't want to go too big as that eats into the space you're going to use to make the other partition. You can resize partitions, but there's a small risk of data loss any time you do that, so it's best to try and get it right the first time.

I can't really say what size you should use for the main C partition as it varies depending on the software you're going to install and the software you might want to install in the future, but if you have any doubts about it I'd just go down the single partition route.

• Like 1