Why I call Bumpy Knuckles aka Bumpy K's instead of waves

ericuk

Phil from thurdays: "Everyone should blame Eric and the disciples of Eric for spreading the Bumpy knuckle name, singling myself out esp."

This is true and I shall tell you why. When I saw tutorials of waves, the sound was just that, wavey - almost like a sine wave gently rolling up and down in pitch.

Yet when Qbert and Dstyles cut, their hand movements produced snappier sounds. I didn't (and still don't) understand what they do with their bendy weird hands and started to experiment with thumb flicking, finger flicking and anything thing else that might produce unusual sounds.

The first technique I found was a reverse OG technique pushing the record forward while flicking it back with the thumb. It sounded dope. I later realised that to avoid needle skipping, I could actually get the same sound from a quick sharp knuckle flex. Hence bumpy knuckles. It was never covered in depth before and I felt it needed defining and developing.

People are more aware of the technique now, but only the Bumpy K crew know the real deal.

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Disciples of B.K.!! We reprezent bk to tha fullest.

I think, as well, where i've learned the clovers like you do with bk's on my left (my strong side) i do a slightly different technique where it's more about the snap your fingers kind of do when they move up and down past the horizontal plain of my palm.

Edit: that's not quite right. I was observing it more closely and it's more like a gap in the record movement caused by the two jerked movements the fingers make naturally when you move between being at about 45 degrees to the palm to about 90ish degrees. Still slightly different, but relying on similar tech.

Seeing moving wave tears done in the mr Viktor vid with Qbert, which i can and do do on my left and is more how i do it on my right (weak hand) it's more like dragging the record back or pushing it forward in a section and then resetting you hand position so you can do it again. With the clover tech on the left it's just a continuous movment and i can walk it round in that fashion, which is just hard walking clovers rather than tears.

TECH TALK!