PDX 2000 (first generation) - Vibrating tonearm problem

mfsop

Picked up a mk1 for just over £100 and no apparent faults with it so far - the platter is solid (no wobble) and no vibration going on that I notice but I have a question - and please bear in mind that I'm a complete scratch noob when it comes to vinyl (only used CDJs and controllers previously). But when I put any pressure on the record (I'm using Superseal for a bit of ah/fresh practice) the pitch lowers noticeably on the sample. At first, I thought it might be the platter speed but I checked the start up speed and that was set to its quickest setting. Don't know if it's the settings I'm using or it's just shit technique (quite probable) but if anyone can shed any light on ways of fixing this (either functionally or technique-wise) would be much appreciated.

Edited by jeljms

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a mk1 for just over £100 and no apparent faults with it so far - the platter is solid (no wobble) and no vibration going on that I notice but I have a question - and please bear in mind that I'm a complete scratch noob when it comes to vinyl (only used CDJs and controllers previously). But when I put any pressure on the record (I'm using Superseal for a bit of ah/fresh practice) the pitch lowers noticeably on the sample. At first, I thought it might be the platter speed but I checked the start up speed and that was set to its quickest setting. Don't know if it's the settings I'm using or it's just shit technique (quite probable) but if anyone can shed any light on ways of fixing this (either functionally or technique-wise) would be much appreciated.

You have slipmats and whatnot right? Also make sure your records aren't warped. Check to make sure it's the platter slowing down (which would probably be a problem with the deck) and not just the record (which would be the record or slipmat, or maybe your not letting go of the record. I can see if you're used to CDJs and not having a platter running full speed under your hand while the record is stopped could kind of fuck up your technique. One of the main reasons I don't like most CDJs is they don't have spinning platters, or don't really give the same type of control you get with wax on a slipmat.

Thanks for the reply Jam Burglar,

Think I can eliminate two of those straight away - slip mat is a butter rug and record is brand new Superseal so shouldn't be any issue with either of those. Got an Ortofon Concorde needle which seems to be working well. Will double check whether the platter is slowing down though. If not, that leaves shit technique.

Cheers

Jel

Haha. I bet you those CDJ techniques you got used to are actually hurting you. If everything is working right you should be able to have your hand on the record and if you just lift your hand up the record should pretty much be at speed. If you hand is on the record, your hand is controlling all of the pitch so its the speed of your hand that matters (e.g "stabs"). If your hand is off the record then the speed should be controlled by the turntable itself.

See here (D-Styles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoOPDl-Drqw

• 3 weeks later...

I sold a technics 1200 to buy a pair of pdx2000 mk1 coz i like them a lot. I already had a mk2, and i love it, but i like more tha platter of mk1 so i brought them...

Damn! Im a lilttle repented. There were no chance to test them; the guy who sold them said there is no single issue, but there is a lot of troubles. The start/stop button is crazy, and sometimes don't want to start at the touch, and when i want a brake to cut is really irritating. One of them starts pretty slow even when i change the value of the start switch at max. It is useless. And the other one got a more extrange trouble: sometimes, when i turn off the quartz to use the pitch, sounds pretty weird, like someone putting a finger in the platter, but it stops when i turn on the quartz. If i turn off/on the turntable, use to back to the normal, but its still worriying me.

And also, one of them got that vibration trouble. So i think they're going to need several service, and i'll have to spend some money. It's kind of ironic coz One of the things for i wanted to change my technics was because it needs a repainting and new leds; i just wanted to save money...

I like to know if someone saw or heard about some issues like mines and fix options?

Even with that issues, they works dope, and I can use them pretty well. It's really hard to make the needle skips, they are so cool for scratch and beatjuggling, i love how they looks like and i hope to restore them to 100% someday.

Thanks 4 read me!

Peace for everyone!

Edited by digeedi

• 5 years later...
On 2/13/2014 at 4:58 PM, mfsop said:

I've found it: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/vestax/pdx-2000.shtml

1. On the main PCB remove: D705, D706, D735, D736, D765, D766

2. Replace R709, R739 and R769 (all 820 Ohm) with 470 Ohm resistors [not 420 as I wrote before]

No idea, if it works because I don't have that problem but it's an official Vestax manual, so I hope this will help someone in the future.

Greetings all,

Has anyone done this modification? Removing the diodes and replacing the resistors? I’ve scoured the Internet and the only source I’ve found is this site and the vinylengine site.  Can’t find a notice of Vestax issuing a recall at the time dated on the modification instruction sheet (Feb 2003) either.

I’ve got a pair of 2000s I’m considering doing the midi mod on, but want to address a few other issues first such as this motor feedback thing. I’d like to know whether this is a legit fix or will fry the PCB or motor. 

Thanks.

Welcome to the site @DaffytheLoon.

I don't recall anyone ever posting to say that they've actually done this mod - I've only ever seen posts talking about it, or from people saying they might try it.

You might want to try the r/turntablist sub-Reddit as that's more active than DV and there might be someone there that's done it.

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2021 at 4:12 AM, DaffytheLoon said:

Greetings all,

Has anyone done this modification? Removing the diodes and replacing the resistors? I’ve scoured the Internet and the only source I’ve found is this site and the vinylengine site.  Can’t find a notice of Vestax issuing a recall at the time dated on the modification instruction sheet (Feb 2003) either.

I’ve got a pair of 2000s I’m considering doing the midi mod on, but want to address a few other issues first such as this motor feedback thing. I’d like to know whether this is a legit fix or will fry the PCB or motor. 

Thanks.

I just did this mod today and it worked well.  Took me about 1 hour and I’ve only soldered stuff a few times before.  My pdx has other issues like the start stop button being finicky but removing the diodes and replacing the resistors fixed the vibration issue I was getting.  

Hey, I know this is an old thread but there are still folks out there with pdx2000ʻs that have this issue.  Iʻve posted a video on YouTube of how to do the repair in case anyone is interested.  It is a totally doable project if you have basic soldering skills.  You can watch it here: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1