Trevor Horn on "Buffalo Gals"

Steve

In the early ’80s Trevor Horn was one of the most in-demand producers in the UK. He could basically work on any record he wanted to. But rather than go after an obvious hit he chose to produce the solo record of ex-Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren. The album took them to Johannesburg and Tennessee – and the end result was one of the most fascinating records of the decade. We talked at length with Trevor Horn in Madrid last year. Excerpted here is his explanation of how lead single “Buffalo Gals” came to be.

Read the full thing, HERE.

• Like 1

Thanks, this is a good read. It's crazy the Supreme team went overseas without their decks and had to have some shipped from NY. Also I dug the part where they stayed true to the Vinyl and called out the Fairlight Synthesizer for being wack for scratching.

Edited by Nies One

This bit is great:

I always remember when World’s Famous Supreme Team were leaving England to go back to New York they phoned me up and said, “Trevor, we’ve gotta record that song again.” “Why?” “Because the scratching’s wack.” “Does that mean it’s bad? I don’t get you.” “It’s wack.” “Don’t worry about that, it’s fine. It’s a punk record.” They said: “Oh, OK then, can we have the drum machine?” I said: “No, it cost me £2,000. I can’t just give you that.” They said: “OK, bye.” They were gone and I never heard from them again.