Something of interest for Z2/DJ-Tech mixer owners

Steve

Some people had issues with the Mini Innofaders in those mixers, particularly with uneven cut-in or a cut-in that wasn't sharp enough. Audio Innovate have made changes to the Mini Innofaders to fix these issues and mixer manufacturers will offer replacement new faders to people who have issues with the old ones.

Check this in-depth article on this here: -

http://www.audioinnovate.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190-mini-innofader-isnt-working-as-expected-please-read-here/

• 1 month later...

Although mine didn't suffer any inconsistent behaviour, the cut-in was never quite tight enough to be perfect or as tight as advertised. As Innofader seem to acknowledge that this is improved on the new version, I filled in the NI ticket to get a new one on these grounds.

They got back in a couple of days and said to try the most recent firmware version on their website (with link) and if that didn't work, they would just need my Z2 ID number, a copy of the original sale invoice (just a forwarded email in my case) and my address. The firmware didn't make any difference, so I sent my details and they emailed straight back to say my new fader is on the way. No hassle at all.

I'd recommend it to any Z2 owners, even if just for the sake of having a spare fader.

• 1 month later...

About 5/6 days after they agreed to send one, a Jiffy bag arrived.

As promised the lag on the new one was a tiny bit tighter than my original one. My original one certainly wasn't unusable either, just not quite how I like it... more noticeable when switching between the Z2 and my other mixers.

Overall a small improvement, but one you might as well have as it's free. Plus I've now got a spare or choice of two slightly different lag setups, depending on how you look at it.

• 1 month later...

So I got my "new and improved" mini-innofader and as reported before it has a bit less lag. However, it's needed recalibrating with the software a few times after it stopped working (which the old one never needed) and is quite a bit stiffer than the old one.

Then recently it stopped working again and the software cailbration wouldn't fix it, so I figured I'd take it out and recalibrate the fader with button underneath and also take it apart and clean out the thick white grease it's filled with and lube it properly in the name of getting it moving a bit better.

So I spent about 3 hours faffing around with it last night with very mixed results. The excessive tension was an easy fix - like the old upfaders, there is the same built-in tensioner (metal spring and plastic tab), albeit one that's set to a lighter setting. Removing this was easy and it made the fader super loose... a bit too loose TBH but it was still better than too stiff.

Then I spent the other 2 hrs and 50 mins recalibrating. First on the fader itself which seemed to be a bit of a lottery - the same actions kept yielding wildly different results and no matter how many times I did it, it was extremely hard to get both sides of the fader to cut in the same distance and I couldn't get it under 2mm lag whatever I did. Then I tried to software recalibrate on top of this and it sort of helped - it instantly cut the lag down, but it was inconsistent on each side. I kept on repeating the process in exactly the same way and got completely different results every time. Eventually I found a sweet spot on the right side of the fader (where I cut) but the left side was still a bit laggy - I went with it as it was the best I could do. Finally, I switched the mixer back on later that night to find the right side just where I left it and the right side not cutting out sound at all... not impressed at all :@@

Yep, afraid so.

The stupid thing is I had no problems with my original fader other than the lag was a bit bigger than preferred. I might go back to that one.

I will also be moaning to NI...

Based on how nice your pro x fade is (on the days when it's working) I still want to know if they can go in the Z2.

The original Mini Innofader in my Z2 was okay for cutting but it wasn't as tight as I wanted it. I had a spare PNP laying around and after the initial headache of getting it calibrated, it runs as smooth as a nut. Sometimes the fader doesn't cut out every once in a while to where I give it a software recalibration and it runs well again. I tried to recalibrate and reinstall my original Mini Innofader and it just wasn't having it, too much lag, awkward cut ins and the recalibration on the fader and software didn't seem to do anything. Oh well, glad I got it running with the PNP!

anybody with the djtech dif-1s had these problems?

i wouldn't be suprised if it turns out to be a problem with the traktor z2. more than the fader, the z2 is a complicated beast and it is traktors first atempt at a dj mixer. so i really wouldn't be suprised that they got something wrong.

the dif-1s is a simple analog creature, so there are less things to go wrong,

i 'm thinking about getting at djtech dif-1m so i'm interested to hear if anybody had problems,

I think it's a bit of both TBH.

I've heard of people having the odd problem with then in the DJ-Tech mixer, particularly in terms of excessive lag. Although of course you don't have the added conundrum of mixer/software calibration to deal with, like the Z2.

The first gen mini innos definitely had issues - which is why they were slightly redesigned and replaced on request under warranty.

The irony for me is that my original fader had none of the reported problems, just a bit too much lag. My "new & improved" one has sorted the lag, but has all the calibration issues that were supposed to affect the old ones and be fixed in the new ones.

• Like 1

Interesting thread..

Im having the same problem with my up fader and the cross fader doesn't cut as nice as my Rane..

A few other weird bug outs as well, to be honest I'm pretty fucked off with the z2. It has the potential to be a great mixer for shows but this shit means I won't consider taking it out to do a show until its sorted.

Steve, did they send you replacement upfaders and crossfader, or just upfader. How did you register the problem with them?

Thanks guys

just to get this clear: by lag you mean the distance the fader has to move to switch between off and on?

i'm pretty sure thats what you mean, but to me the word "lag" should refer to time, not distance.

or do you actually mean the fader reacts too slowly? that would be really bad news.

if the fader cut in distance it too big couldn't you just fix it the old school way and stick a bit of cut up creditcard under the faceplate?

at the moment i have an old stanton sk2f with a focusfader v1, when i got it the cut in distance was far to long so i opened the fader up and stuck some bits of plastic inside to limit the distance it travels.

it still has a slight fade in that i'm not too keen on, but its definatly not holding my scratching back.

motosega - yes, I was using "lag" the not particularly correct euphemism for cut-in distance (it was quicker to write on my phone ;)). Obviously I could do the washer/credit-card mod as I used to on my old Alps fader 06 back in the day, but I know that amatic did it with his and had to recalibrate the fader afterwards and I'm loathed to risk this on my one reliable fader.

mighty atom - I totally agree with your sentiments on the Z2... it's basically a good design and great value, but the execution and quality control could definitely be better. To get the fader replaced you just go through the standard online NI fault reporting form/ticket system - even stating your operating system and all the other generic questions that don't relate to the problem. Then in a few days they get back, check you've got the latest firmware update and assuming you have they send you a new fader. I asked for 3 new faders as they were all old-gen but they ignored me and just sent one though I'm afraid - although my reason for complaining was excessive cut-in distance which I guess is irrelevant to them on the upfaders? Perhaps if you said you had calibration issues with all three, then all three would be replaced.

Steve, did they send you replacement upfaders and crossfader, or just upfader. How did you register the problem with them?

I got a replacement crossfader by opening a ticket through their website. I haven't had any issues with my line faders. That video I posted was some other guy - I was just wondering if anyone here had that problem.

Thanks guys - my right upfader is fucked... little bit of sound at the bottom, little bit at the top.. full volume in the middle..

Tried recalibrating doesn't make any difference.. what a joke man.

I bought this mixer to make doing gigs and my life easier, its caused me a load of hassle and I'm switching back to my trusty rand 56 for gigs tomorrow and tuesday ha ha..

• 2 years later...

I have the newer Z2 with the apparently new Inno, but often seems like an 18 inch cut-in time. Really though, it feels around 3-4 MM, which is way too much. 2MM is perfect, at least for me, 'cause I like a little gap, not a Jenna Jameson ravine. Before the fader appeared to have less lag, however, lately not so much.