Do me a favour - does this sound glitchy to you?

Steve

I bought an expanded edition of a Zapp album today, but it appears to have glitches on it. Listen to these two samples: -

This is the OG version from the original CD released in the 80s: -

OG.mp3

That plays fine.

Now listen to the same section of song from the remastered version: -

REMASTER.mp3

At 12, 18, 27, 33 and 39 seconds, there appear to be what sound like tape slips, like the audio suddenly speeds up as if a tape is about to get mangled.

Can you doods hear what I mean?

Weird. Yeah I can but could it be some weird auto-tune effect they've put on the vocal in the remaster? It's very brief but noticeable,

The fact that you're listening to a distorted voice makes it even harder to peg down.

I don't think the glitches are supposed to be there, but I do know what you're saying, which is why I asked.

Here's another example where it's more obviously (IMO) a glitch: -

GLITCH.mp3

Listen about 3 seconds in as he's just finishing his vocal run on "love". That's definitely a glitch, right?

Cheers mate. I'll return this for a refund then. I've contacted the label to see what they say and sent them some examples of the glitches.

I didn't think I needed to get you to perform the test under scientific conditions. :p

The label got back to me. They said that it is indeed glitches on the master tape. They claim that it's only track 2 (Computer Love) that's affected, but I can hear the glitches on other tracks too. Personally, I think it's kinda shady to sell the CD in that state, however, they told me to return the CD to Amazon for a refund and they are going to send me another copy (still glitchy of course) for free, along with 2 other CDs of my choice from their website.

Hmmm, the CD has one review that's 5 stars now.

I'm going to take them up on their offer. I already got a refund from Amazon for the CD before I got a reply from the label - I just need to return the CD now (return shipping is paid for by Amazon). I can't listen to it in that state cos the glitches get on my nerves, but I'm not going to turn down an offer of free CDs. :d