go slow or push yourself

ericuk

sorry no media to go with this post but tonight while I failed to record anything worth posting, I was cutting to fast dubstep and grime. It was getting a bit uncomfortable but I was trying 3 click and fast transform stuff with rhythms that I imagine but cant do, yet they were coming through by accident. I tend to learn by trying cuts faster than my ability. I've never been one to dwell on slow tempo practice and build up.

For me, I shoot for the tempo I want (and then some). Weirdly, I then find slowing right down easier too.

Videos will follow at some point I promise. Even if it is a bit shit! :-)

• Like 1

Doing a scratch slowly and not to music can be a valuable tool for getting your head and hands around the mechanics of what they should be doing, but sometimes I find this just too far detached from what I'm trying to achieve. Boomerangs for instance.

Other times the start slow and go faster with practice has helped me with getting the correct technique nailed - swing flares for instance... when I first learn them, on beat at about 95bpm was my limit. Now a few months later I've got them clean and how I want them to sound with a couple of different variations and my current speed limit is about 120-125 bpm. Not quite the 140 bpm I need to get to, to double-time with the kids (like Motek) but progress has been steady.

I guess trying different learning techniques and seeing what takes for you is the best option.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

i've reverted right back to day 1 stuff, going through all the stuff i accepted as "yep, got that down - move on" years ago. i've been throwing loads of tips and tears in my combos as a result and doing transformed variations of both that, whilst I was doing them before, have become a lot more expressive and varied. my 1 click flares had gotten well sloppy, too, and i almost completely neglected wrist orbits. essentially, I'm just crisping everything up and exploring things that I'd overlooked along the way.

plus I'm currently doing this fader mod that this dude with an 06 put up on youtube ages ago

• Like 1

I used to learn in the same manner Eric describes in the original poast. Nowadays, most of the scratches I'm trying to learn are combos rather than new techniques, so I find it easier to slow it down then gradually increase speed.

i started off with faster tempos and now 105-120bpm is pretty much me final frontier. starting to get comfortable at that range now but i have to throw out a lot of techniques and emphasize others.. like tears are awesome at that speed and simple patterns with them like like chirp to forward tears sound awesome because of the speed of the tear at that tempo makes it sound loads more distinctive than it would at faster/slower 80/160bpm speed. transforms are great at that tempo too and stabs which i hardly do at all at 80/160.

What speed do you learn at though Chillmaster Chile? Do you slow shit down to molecules or just try to learn stuff around the tempo you hope to reach?

I'm saying that I develop faster by struggling at the desired tempo rather than slowing beats right down to learn a new technique and gradually bring the speed back up.

Whats the fader Mod pete?

I used to learn in the same manner Eric describes in the original poast. Nowadays, most of the scratches I'm trying to learn are combos rather than new techniques, so I find it easier to slow it down then gradually increase speed.

It's definitely more logical to slow stuff down at first. Do you now learn quicker, you think?

I think slowing stuff down probably makes you cleaner in the long run..... I'm like a scraggly whippet. I can go quite fast but I'm a mess! :-)

well i just practice within an awkward bpm range and learn by doing. flow takes an obvious priority on uncomfortable bpms since that's really what youre trying to develop.. not just a few new techniques. So I go into it thinking more like a newbie thats trying learn from the start rather than someone that already has lot of understanding and just wants to manipulate and transpose what know to fit the new bpm range. Having said that, some things can be manipulated to fit new bpms and having experience at different speeds does help too i mean the process is still loads quicker than doing things from the beginning. It took me about 4-5 months to learn to flow comfortably at 150bpm because of the 7 odd years experience i had learning combos at 160+bpm.

i guess its a slightly slower approach but you learn more comfortably what works for you and what doesn't at different ranges and that comfort holds a lot of value when it comes to flowing. From experience I know for example that im only going to land 2 click double time patterns at 115bpm if i do them in short bursts, but to counter that its a sweet spot for fast transform type patterns (which i wouldnt be able to land at other distant tempos) and fast stabs, so learning more transform patterns and stabs etc at that tempo becomes a lot more beneficial than trying to fight against the tempo by forcing 2 click patterns you can do at other bpms.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

in the past few days since i made the additional loopers, i've found myself using them to warm up, starting out at the 68bpm for 10-15mins, then going through 88bpm for maybe 10 minutes, up to 108bpm for another 10-15 and then onto the 120bpm one for as long as i feel like. I've found that the cuts i was more fussy about getting crisply at slower speeds seem to resolve themselves easier at the faster speeds, although i think those two aspects are linked

no microphone and tutu this sundae then?

Not unless "microphone and tutu" is code for a butt-plug and a dress.

#standardr&hdrummersissue

To tell you the truth I have been working on new stuff, just much more remedial stuff I hope will open up areas I'm sorely lacking in - namely fingering the flare techniques and upping my miserable 2-click game.

As you've seen or heard me say before, this started with modifying my 1-click flares so I don't take my thumb off the fader and learning how to swing flare... apart from being a simple scratch I should have learnt ages ago its opened up what I think of as the "Ericuk baby-tap" technique. It's taken time to get my head round this but already I'm feeling the benefits and think once I've mastered it, the payoff will be huge.

I tried the baby-tap-baby-tap delayed 2-click first but I still over think it and lock up, my best progress so far has been doing the 2-click thing that's the first and last part of the autobahn. Yeah, I know it's played out but it seemed a little more interesting than a straight 2-click and already I can do it better than a continuous 2-click flare - my speed limit is about 85bpm but its only been a few weeks of minimal practice and when I do hit it sweetly, it sounds like good sound I could control and master.

sounds like you're making good progress! I don't know how you learn or how quickly you develop but taking the leap of faith and changing up your approach to the smallest things - like how you hold the fader - makes a huge difference. My big thing at the moment is using my forefinger instead of my index against the thumb. It's a game changer!

• Like 1

Do you mean forefinger and middle finger, I take it?

Yeah, I predominantly made that switch after a couple of years of scratching. At first I found that it was easier to get off fast fader clicks (from the wrist) with the middle finger and it's the only time I revert to it now, but then I found the forefinger better for crab and transform patterns, stabs and general precision.

Although it's still a work in progress, I'm finding some things sound better than ever for a few little refinements. I've also been working a little bit on my stab timing so I don't slice and getting chirps tighter and better timed with smaller a fader movments.

I find my learning now is often defined by how it relates to my existing moves and sloppy techniques. If I'm trying to learn something that's too close to something I already know, I really struggle not to slip into old habits. My best results come from learning something that contains key elements I have down and years of practice of, but that are rearranged in a completely different way to anything I can already do.