Sticky fader

juse box

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway I haven't used my mixer for almost a year. when I did the fader was extra stiff.

I live here in the Philippines so I can't get any type of fader lube.. I'll have to use whatever is around.

Shoot me some info DV

Here's what I used to do with my Ecler Pro faders: -

1. Use contact cleaner.

2. Soak them in warm water for an hour.

3. Let them dry throughly, then apply a couple of drops of sewing machine oil to the rails.

The reason I soaked them in water is because contact cleaner, while great at getting rid of dirt/gunk, can sometimes leave a residue behind. There might be people reading this thinking "you shouldn't put faders in water!", but I cleaned my faders like that regularly for many years and they were always in top condition. A mate of mine had the same mixer and he used to ask me how come my faders were so buttery and his weren't.

After cleaning, I try not to use anything at all on the Rane faders, but if I do it'll be a couple of drops of Singer sewing machine oil like Steve said. No Calilube, it never worked for me.

No Calilube, it never worked for me.

which colour did you use? I find a lot of ppl don't use the right one or use it properly... I use the pink to clean, then the green to lube and it's probs the best combo I've come across. Plenty of ppl either use only the pink which cleans and doesn't lube, or they use only the green without cleaning so it lubes but doesn't take off any shit that might be making it sticky already.

which colour did you use? I find a lot of ppl don't use the right one or use it properly... I use the pink to clean, then the green to lube and it's probs the best combo I've come across. Plenty of ppl either use only the pink which cleans and doesn't lube, or they use only the green without cleaning so it lubes but doesn't take off any shit that might be making it sticky already.
same pink to clean,green to lube..even tho green states its a plastic rail lube..its the right one.

I think it was blue

i use a stanton sk 6 with a pro x fader. damn steve water for real? i'm kinda scared to try it because i have to scratch at this event next week and it's the only fader i got. ima look for that sewing machine oil tho. i hate living in the philippines sometimes, it's impossible to find things you need out here. what about anit corrosive spray?

I googled the fader and its internals are alot like the vestax fader. I personally would strip the thing apart. clean the rods and the fader stem base with tissue paper and alcoholic wipes if you have any. when you put it back together it would be clean but dry. To lube it up, I would use BABYOIL. I've used that shit for years and it's an undiscovered gem for poor mans that dont have the posh lube people recommend.

I notice that whereas Rane used to recommend Caig products for their mixers on their site and in manuals, they now recommend one of these dry finish silicone lubes. Not even anything fader or electronics specific, just a normal DIY dry silicone spray.

So duly at the weekend, I picked some up from the DIY shop and will report back once I've got round to squirting it o something. It looks promising - it sprays on wet and then dries completely so shouldn't pick up any dirt... there's also a health and safety warning on the side of the can saying use with caution as it makes things dangerously slippy!

• 2 weeks later...