Sample chopping question: letting snippets through

d00ban

Word, I'm getting better at chopping samples but am still a bit unclear on some stuff. Can any one tell me, on this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGGZ1P7LKoE

Are they filtering out the sample to get the main beat and then opening the filters at opportune moments to let through the sample, or have they laid down the main beat, and then chopped samples separately and layered them on top? Not sure if that makes sense but hopefully you get what I mean.

are you on about the way her voice comes through as being chopped up while the piano's and guitars in the background remain constant?

it sounds like they found a loop out of the existing tune, with no vocals, then found a loop that had the same music plus vocals, and then just chopped between the two to allow her voice to come through every now and then. giving the impression that the vocal is on a seperate track i guess.

then the drums have been layered over.

at least that what it sounds like to me!

Bit late to the party I know, but I agree with Symatic.

Just chop different parts of the same song and process them differently. Sampling different parts from different versions of the same song can be handy too - it makes finding samples that are using the same key and scale much easier and a lot of old songs were covered by a few bands/singers.

What i would say from my own experience, is that even if you're just doing quite simple things with them, there's definitely a bit of an art to getting the best bits from tracks you want to sample and there seems to be quite a lack of tutorials going into depth on what techniques you can use. I've learnt a lot of what I know just from slowly grinding away on my own, mostly trial and error and at times it's been annoying - like if you had to learn scratching on your own with only finished audio tracks to go on.

Another trick with chopping sample is to sample from each of the stereo channels. In old stereo recordings U'll find they used pan a lot (its to do with how they mic'd live bands /limited recording channels) so left may have more pronounced drums n bass, while right more lead and vocal. U can further eq those to bring the instrument u want to hear forward. They u can stack em all back u , hopefully no phasing going on, and then cut in n out the sounds u want.

Fyi - at work haven't listened to eris file.

Si we need to go out to a carboot n then ill take u through it with what we find.