Any new soul/funk music?

Nuno

Check out Daptone records mate, they got some really good funk / soul stuff. They try to use old recording methods to give the sound an older sound.

Check: Sharon Jones, Lee Fields and the Expressions, Charles Bradley, The Menahan Street band (his band), The Budos Band,

Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble got some pretty funky stuff too.

Also, the bamboos, the apples, the haggis horns

Craig Charles actually has a pretty good radio show playing this stuff, can't remember what station he's on these days.

Also Wax Destroyer, I'd like to argue this is funkier than what you posted! (esp 3 min 50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEqaFFxnUAg

I was gonna post on this, but I've been out of the loop for the last year or so... So all I could think of was stuff from then or before - Tru Thoughts, Daptone, MPM, Bamboos, Apples, Hypnotic, etc - and I didn't want the cool kids to calling me out for being a year behind. Luckily It seems that nothing has happened for the past year.

Ah, cheers guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking stuff more in the Daptone mould, throwback soul-funk, or deep funk if you'd rather, more than the George Clinton type of funk. I'll make sure to check out some of the names Doob mentioned and that I didn't know about, and I've also found out that a documentary on Charles Bradley came out a couple of months ago. I feel inclined to agree with Rock Well, though, not much seems to be happening these days.

I was gonna post on this, but I've been out of the loop for the last year or so... So all I could think of was stuff from then or before - Tru Thoughts, Daptone, MPM, Bamboos, Apples, Hypnotic, etc - and I didn't want the cool kids to calling me out for being a year behind. Luckily It seems that nothing has happened for the past year.

Why you gotta always put me down? :p

Doob - Woah, hold on - that was never a put down... as someone younger than me, living in London, currently both going to and playing regular gigs, I really do consider you way cooler than me. Plus, I'm sure you have a much better knowledge of what's been happening with new music coming out over the last couple of years... the best I could offer here is the names of bands whose singles i bought about 5 years ago.

Nuno - Go back just a few years and there was a rash of 45s coming out by new bands aping classic funk and soul and doing funky cover versions (before Ronson killed that one). Many were from one-off artists, but some did a bit more.

Some names to check out if you haven't already; Melting Pot Music, Lefties Soul Connection, El Michels Affair, The Sweet Vandals, Breakestra, The Bamboos, The Apples, Orgone, Quantic (in all guises from Quantic Soul Orchestra to Flowering Inferno), Hot 8 Brass Band, The Heliocentrics... and of course all the Tru Thoughts, Daptone stuff.

• Like 1

Doob - Woah, hold on - that was never a put down... as someone younger than me, living in London, currently both going to and playing regular gigs, I really do consider you way cooler than me. Plus, I'm sure you have a much better knowledge of what's been happening with new music coming out over the last couple of years... the best I could offer here is the names of bands whose singles i bought about 5 years ago.

Ha i was only kidding mang

Ha i was only kidding mang

Stop teasing the elderly.

#kidsgotnorespectthesedays

Does anyone make the distinction I call wet/dry when it comes to funk?

Bass heavy funk with squelchy synths like p-funk or Zapp is "wet" and older, funky drummer James Brown type stuff (whet Nuno calls "deep funk") is "dry".

You've got to have a system.

• Like 1