"New school" scratching..... I hate it

Steve

Figuratively speaking, you have to learn to walk before you can run. It seems like a lot of people want to skip mastering the basics and go straight for the tech stuff. Personally I'd rather hear someone who does simple stuff really well than someone who does something complicated badly, but that's pretty obvious I would have thought.

• Like 1

^Doing simple and doing it well, is hard. But regardless of what school of thought you come from I think you can be dynamic in either category.

I'll admit it. I lack some serious fundamentals because I grew up spoiled with nice slipmats and nice cf's - but I don't think one style beats the other.

Steve talked about Chilie and IQ in his first post. Both of these guys have completely different styles. I hope I'm not offending Chilie, but I think his style uses a lot of technique and and speed, yet he is able to vary it dynamically. That is what makes him one of the best at it.

IQ is the other side of the coin. He hardly needs to do strings of 2 or 3 clicks because he has mastered the ability to pitch basic scratches.

The point is, they both are dynamic.

I'm just being the devil's advocate by saying that I don't agree that old school scratchers are, by nature, better than the new school style.

I've watched about 10 of the battle vids, in no particular order, and in some of them people repeat patterns for far too long IMO - like if you watch IQ's vid, every next combo/phrase is different to what went before.

In b boy battles there's a big issue about repeating moves - if this sort of mentality/stipulation was introduced in scratching/battles, would it help make it all more interesting? Apples and oranges I know...

I would definitely say that Kurteek is new school, but there's a lot of variety in his cuts that makes him stand out in a good way.

I would say that someone like waxdestroyer is old school, not that he doesn't do any new school cuts at all. Personally, I prefer listening to him cut than Kurteek, although I understand that that's just a matter of taste.

D-Styles is a mix of the two and that's why he's one of my overall favourites, cos he'll do transform patterns that Aladdin used to do, or baby/reverse baby patterns that Mixmaster Ice used to do way back in the day, fast stabs and chirps etc., but all done super tightly and mixed in with all the new school stuff as well and with a lot of flavour/variety.

Advanced scratchers of either style sound great. I guess it's the "average-good" folks that are the ones I'm talking about, cos I can listen to average-good old school style scratching and think it sounds really good, but average-good new school scratching sounds very samey and soulless to me and it just makes me think that the DJ skipped a lot of the basics because they wanted to sound like whoever their favourite new school scratcher is.

I agree about the trend thing. As mentioned. D style has flow and being pitchy. The past 5 years, it's been all speed. People clap when you can chirp triplets like mad crazy when smooth flow style ain't good for shit.

The trend change when faster beats came along and then everyone can go free time scratching over a tempo and still sound okay. But when they scratch a slow beat, they stick to what they only can do; fast soratching tand always doubling timing

Scratching is only impressive to nerds anyway. Doesn't matter whether it's "funky" chirps or "soulless" whatever the autobahn. Who gives a shit? Barely anyone on the planet. Nerd on or jog on.

The people in this thread care enough to discuss...if you didn't give a shit why comment? SMH.

• Like 3