building a new computer..

chile

Haha, yeah, it sucks man. Even though you won't be pulling anywhere near that much juice the vast majority of the time you have to buy a PSU based on maximum draw + some headroom.

This calculator is supposedly good: -

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp

If that's not the one you tried already, see what it says.

i used asus' own calculator http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

i'll give that one a go too though cheers. i think im gonna scrap velocoraptor drive since i dont have money to spend on a casing now lol.. i recon i can get a 1tb WD HDD for about 50 quid then later on ill move project data and samples across to a velocoraptor and use the 1tb drive for storing less used files and downloads

Yeah, that one is a considerable step up on the other one you were considering (obviously twice the price too, lol).

This is one of the most respected sites for PSU reviews if you want to do a bit of browsing for alternatives: -

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews

Unfortunately, there's no way to sort the reviews by highest rated for a particular Wattage, but there is a more basic search feature so you can search for "850" or whatever to narrow it down.

damn that calculators confusing lol.. for me anyway since im getting familiar with tech terms again.. has so many options that i end up having to look up what things are.. im gonna read up and give it another go later on. defo more comprehensive than the other one. i been thinking about overclocking too as ive heard its much safer these days with newer motherboards, but i dont know what to fill in to get a reading on the calc.

was thinking of just leaving the build a few months and going for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-AX1200-Professional-Series-Modular/dp/B003QP4188/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377133361&sr=1-1&keywords=80+plus+gold+1200w

Well that would certainly do the trick! Haha. I think the 850 Watt version would do you just fine though.

There's a review of your CPU on Hexus.net and the power draw of the whole system with the CPU maxed out with Prime 95 was under 200 Watts. That test does not stress the CPU and certain other components to the max, but even if you add 200 for the GPU (which your chosen GPU doesn't pull even at max), there's no way that an 850 Watt PSU wouldn't be enough IMO.

• Like 1

oh this corsair ones 50 quid less, 80 plus gold and 1050 watt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-HX1050-Professional-Series-Modular/dp/B008O0RW7C/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377134992&sr=1-6&keywords=corsair+professional+series

yeah im thinking of later on collecting and adding in a few uad 2 cards which i think would ramp up the watt a fair bit.. id like 900 watt ideally but i couldnt find one by corsair

That one is from the HX series though, while the other ones are AX. There's not a great deal of difference though AFAIK, outside of that one not being fully modular. Maybe the fan noise/build quality would be a little better with the AX, but I couldn't say for sure. I would definitely check a few reviews before making your mind up.

I think i can handle some fan noise as my rooms not very acoustically sound anyway so i wouldnt be using it for mic recording which would be the only issue i think id have apart from fan noise being slightly annoying. my last computer was pretty loud fan wise and i used the basic psu that came with the case i got so im guessing this will be quieter than what im used to. i saw in the amazon comments that its part modular but comes with cables to rig everything else up which is kinda what i was looking for.. maybe ill regret it though.. gonna give it a think

a geezer on overclock forums says -

'The HX750 and 850 are Channel Well, a sort of customized model of the DSG platform. They are high effiency, but Channel Well opts out of making them truly silent, the 140mm fan starts at about 1000 RPM. While it's audible, it's not at all really intrusive, unless you are allergic to any kind of noise.

Now, the AX750 and 850 are based on the new Seasonic X based platform, and operate fanless at low loads. The AX series are also fully modular.

If I was buying anything today, I'd get the AX.'

source - http://www.overclock.net/t/802990/corsair-ax-or-hx

If i were buying one for your setup I'd go for the Corsair 850. It's going to be enough for sure. Anything above that you're looking at a crazy setup with multiple GPU's and you're upto 1000W.

Also, why no love for AMD for your CPU or GPU. I'm a big fan of their value for money and they have never failed me.

If i were buying one for your setup I'd go for the Corsair 850. It's going to be enough for sure. Anything above that you're looking at a crazy setup with multiple GPU's and you're upto 1000W.

Also, why no love for AMD for your CPU or GPU. I'm a big fan of their value for money and they have never failed me.

yeah i just wanna future proof it i guess.. i keep changing my mind on the psu, but id rather have extra to play with for 30 quid dearer than something closer.. i might get a second graphics card, and i read up the wattage my uad-1 card takes up and its 15 watts.. the newer cards are mroe efficient though taking up only 7 each uad-2 quad card.

ive not really looked into amd much, have always gone with intel for cpu and this is the first fairly serious gpu ive purchased

after a bit of thinking i decided to listen to you guys and gonna go for 850w psu instead. I was thinking that on this laptop i can make do with 4 usb slots most of the time even when im working on projects so i recon at max ill be using 6-7 usb slots, not 10 which bumped my wattage up to 800 with everything else on the asus calculator.

its interesting to see the price flucuations too on amazon.. the cpu has gone up by 10 quid while the mobo has lowered by a fiver. also the graphics card on the other site has gone up 7 quid lol. i would have thought thered be a reduction over time but it seems not to be the case at the moment.

Ive just bought the PSU, case and HDD as they had 37/38/50% off so thought id take them then before the discount lowers.. gonna probably buy the cpu last to see if itll go lower than £450

Just realised the SSD i chose is for a laptop lol. glad i didnt buy it the other day with the first components.. im a bit confused as to how to find an ssd for a desktop pc? i just saw a sandisk 256gb one but that turned out to be for notebook computers..

There's no difference in the actual drives. Sometimes they are advertised as "desktop version", but that usually just means that a 2.5"-3.5" bracket is included so that you can mount the SSD in a regular drive bay. If you need one of those, they only cost a couple of quid anyway.

• Like 1

If it doesn't just search for "SSD bracket" on Amazon and you'll find a bunch of them for £5 and under.

I ended up just using a cable tie to hold mine in place, so it's mounted in a similar position to this: -

http://i.imgur.com/WxS6TY2.jpg

An SSD has no moving parts, so as long as the PC isn't being moved about regularly, that's fine. Using a bracket is better though.

• Like 1

just bought most the components.. the ram suddenly shot up 30 quid so i had to buy through amazon for the previous price but that means i'll be waiting till late september for it to arrive which is ok anyway sincei have to wait till i have the money for the cpu.. but yeah in general waiting for prices to lower hasnt worked out at all lol. things seems to jump up in price rather than down

anyone got reccomendations for a cpu fan? ideally less than 50 quid.. Im not so fussed with water cooling stuff.. the old heatsink and fan combo will do me.. this one looks decent

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Mugen-Edition-Processor-Cooler/dp/B005NROL9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378496766&sr=8-1&keywords=Scythe+Mugen+3+Revision

edit: think i found the one.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enermax-ETS-T40-TB-Silence-CPU-K%C3%83%C2%BChler-Sockel/dp/B005DUHBEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378497491&sr=8-1&keywords=Enermax+ETS-T40-TA

cheaper and better rating on techradar