SP2 & TCP Connections

Steve

Once you have installed SP2 on your XP box, the amount of TCP connections you can make is limited to 10 at any one time. Apparently this is to slow down the spread of worms and viruses, but it can also slow down your torrents. There is a fix on THIS website. I do not have SP2 so I don't know if this works. I've virus scanned the file and it comes up clean, also people on Suprnova's forum are posting links to this so I'm assuming it's safe. It's worth a look but install at your own risk.

I've done a bit more reading about this, and apparently it's not the maximum number of TCP/IP connections simultaneously that is limited, but the number of *connecting* TCP/IP connections (ie half-connected)

Anyway, I'm gonna give that patch a go. I've seen it discussed on a few places, so I hope it's not a backdoor trojan or anything like that.

EDIT

Here's a cut & pasted section about this

What MS has done in SP2 is set a limit on the number of new TCP connections your machine can establish per second. The reasoning behind this is to prevent, or i guess slow the spread of worms that use techniques like picking random IP's to propagate. It's actually not a bad thing to have such a limit, and the idea has been around for a while. Anyone who uses IRC can think of it as flood prevention. Once the max number of connections per second is reached, additional connections are queued and processed at the specified max rate. MS has set that rate to 10 half-open connections. This is a little low, but the average home user probably won't even hit it. There are however a few applications, especially file sharing or p2p programs that do. You can increase the limit from 10/sec to 50/sec which should be enough for anybody.

details can be found here: http://www.lvllord.de/

just one last thing: this is not going to increase your transfer speeds, or fix programs that aren't working. neither does it control the maximum amount of connections you can have. the only way this patch is going to be of any value is if you do have a large number of Event ID 4226 in your event log due to running apps like Azureus, Sharaza, etc. that have a tendancy to connect to a great number of peers in a very short amount of time. Before applying the patch, save yourself some trouble and actually check your event log (Start-Administrative Tools-Event Viewer). If you don't see any Tcpip events with the ID 4226, or even if there's just an occasional few, you probably don't need to worry about it.

all credit and thanks goes to LvlLord for coming up with all this info and the patch. :blink:

from http://board.iexbeta.com/ibf10/index.php?s...30entry547000

Well I scanned it with NOD32 and it came up clean. I've also switched to using Kaspersky and that also didn't come up with anything. There is actually a registry edit somewhere on the MSKB site that does the same thing as the patch.