Getting a DJ table custom made..

savwar

Basically I need a table here, and there's no IKEA in Buenos Aires. Most of the furniture here is shit quality, or else i could pick some shit pine thing made buy a crap carpenter. Or else you have to buy an expensive antique

My girlfriend is an architect and does furniture design as part of her job, so she's gonna be designing me one and getting their cabinet maker to put it together.

The thing is as i'm probably only going to be here twomore years, the sensible thing to do is to make it usable for normal people so it retains its resale value.

Obviously the important things are gonna be :

Height - I think the optimum height i want for the table is 93cm. What do you guys have yours at??

Width - Long enough for 2 decks and my mixer and I've just bought a little set of speakers that are 15cm wide each so thats (93+(15x2)) 123cm

(and there'll be a bit of room for a glass or notepad etc..) I'm gonna get a stand for the laptop above it, and i want it to be around that length so it gives me options where to put it in the apartment.

Depth... about 53cm

I wont have an amp (speakers are powered) or any other controllers (just dicers) or anything..

There'll be a hole in the back so i can feed the leads into it at the top into the plugboard, then only one wire will come out the back to the plug socket..

And the flip down shelf on the bottom is for my flight cases to slide into.

What else would you need??

here's a rough sketch...

Guest Symatic

remember to make the hole for cables nice and big so when some asshole electronics manufacurer makes some beast of a power supply you can actually plug it in

Not as swish as what you're planning, but I've made few simple workbench style units for myself and others...

Basically they are just a 2"x 2" box frame with thinish ply (9 or 12mm) on four sides to make it a table and keep it rigid - on their own, the frame and ply are pretty flimsy but stick it all together and it stiffens up and all the weight you inevitably put on it keeps it stable.

Here's my current one at home, which started out as a square table which i cut in half when I didn't need so much. It also has a curtain made of cheap fabric on a bit of towel rail acros the front and a shelf you can't see behind that... not sure on measurements, but I could check.

remember to make the hole for cables nice and big so when some asshole electronics manufacurer makes some beast of a power supply you can actually plug it in

well i probably wont be buying anything while i'm here, but i'm making it large enough to be vaguely future proof.

Yeah i would go for something like that normally rockwell, but as i dont need record shelves, as i only have my serato with me, and the fact that i want to resell, i'm kinda goin for the normal furniture look, with the dimensions of a turntable table, and a few slight additions...

i suppose the height depends on preference and how tall you are...

I'm about 5'10 or 11 and i don't want rafik back or klever neck so i'm goin for quite high at 93cm... my elbows will be at a right angle when i scratch...

made mine out of MDF took about half a day, sweated my bollox off, cost about £40 including the big drill bit to make a hole for wires. made a kinda nifty laptop stand out of the off cuts, but i've binned it now as ive got a better idea for the design. been meaning to add some extra shelves but havnt got round to it yet.

I'm 5' 8 and my tables at 83cm and my arms are now at 70-80 degree angle. I used to have flight cases under the decks so my arms were at 90, but i kinda found that at that angle my fader wrist had to bend in a weird position if i wanted to straightish finger pinch and i could feel it strain my wrist. So i got rid fo the flight caes and dropped em down a bit.

• 4 weeks later...