Xbox One does require an Internet connection after all, plus more bad shit

Steve

MS have finally come out and clarified some of the info surrounding the upcoming Xbox One: -

1. While you don't need to be always online to play games, the console must "phone home" once every 24 hours, otherwise you can only watch DVDs and Blu-Rays.

2. You can give a game away to a friend, but they have to have been on your Xbox Live friends list for at least 30 days and games can only be given away once - once you give a game to a friend, that's it - it can't be passed on again.

3. Games can be traded in, but at selected retailers only. Gamers won't have to pay a "used game fee" when buying a used game from one of these retailers, however.

So all in all, I think this is pretty shite. You can't lend a game to a friend - you can only give it to them (with the restriction mentioned above). You can't sell your games anywhere you choose, so you couldn't put your used games on eBay, for example. If you want to trade games in, that can only be done at certain retailers so you won't be free to shop around for the best deals.

The only real advantage of this system is that once you install the game to the hard drive, you don't have to put the disc in to play, so the disc is basically just a delivery method for getting the bits on to your hard drive.

I think the platform holders hold all the aces. There are definitely some publishers who want this, but if MS said no, they would bring their games to the Xbox One anyway. The money saved because of these restrictions isn't going to cover the amount of money they would lose by not bringing their game to a platform that has a multi-million person user base, which both the Xbox One and PS4 will probably get in a fairly short time. That's especially true now that both consoles are X86, so porting between them is a piece of piss.

yeah man, I know. I play PC not that often but I bought couple things on steam sales for low price and didn't regret that I can't sell it. I was console games because all you need was a console and disc to play a game. Now it's more complicated with all that drm, always online and shit.

With Kinect listening all the time and all the suspect shit coming out about the Feds really are doing mass data collections the connection is one reason I'll pass. If I get anything it will be a WiiU.

• Like 1

On Reddit people are losing their minds over this stuff it's amazing to see. IF Sony don't fuck this up I think they'll come out on top this time.

Personally not being able to lend someone I game (which I do often) is complete and utter bullshit!

That's basically what got me all wound up lol. Sony will fuck it up but the fanboys on both sides will still bite.

I don't get microsofts logic at all.

I can understand it. Tons of dev teams have shut down in the last few years because they made a big budget game that failed to meet sales targets. I don't think the industry is sustainable in its current form. There were also huge issues with piracy with both the original Xbox and the Xbox 360.

This is like a half-way house to a full digital distribution box. A broadband Internet connection is one of the "system requirements". At Sony's press conference, they talked about how the average Vita owner has bought 10 games and 60% of the games sold on Vita are via digital downloads, which obviously give you zero trade in/sale/lending rights. These new consoles will offer digital downloads of all games on day one, unlike the current consoles, and you'll be able to pre-load games like you can on Steam, so I think many people will just get games that way. It's less restricted than Steam though, because your library of games can be shared with up to 10 other family members who can access those games on any Xbox One, and all of your games are stored in the cloud (even the ones you buy on disc) and you can sign in to a friend's Xbox One and play any of the games you've bought too. Plus obviously you still have some trade in rights, which you don't have with Steam.

I can definitely understand the objections though. One of the reasons I buy physical media is because it retains value as I can do what I like with it pretty much. I think MS could - and should - have gone with a best of both worlds option, where you have to install your games and there is still the 24 hour checks, because that means you never have to put the disc in again to play, which is great, but I think they should have allowed a "de-register" option, so that I can then sell a game on eBay or lend it to a mate.