"The rise of the £50 DJ and those who undercut"

Steve

I cant say nationwide but on a saturday night in Nottingham these days is dead compared to say the 90's and 00's.

People arent spending money as they used to,going out is considered a treat every now and then.

Its all about the dollar,if people aint spending on the entertainment industry then its going to whittle down.

I haven't been out on a Friday or Saturday for about proper night out in about 10 years. We went out twice last year and I was shocked at how dead it was! When I was a lad the bar would always be about 4 deep, every place we went to last year you could just walk up to the bar a get served right away. In one bar we were the only ones in there! Apart from the 80s bar every single place we went had the same songs on, nobody gave a shit. The few people that were in were having a laugh and a few were dancing, they didn't care what the DJ was doing, they'd be happy with just a CD on.

DJ-ing isn't the only area affected though. I'm pretty sure photographers get it just as bad.

This is true, I know two people that have had to get "proper" jobs as they just can't make ends meet anymore. So many people are doing it now and most just as a hobby, any money they make is just a bonus.

here my 2 cents:

CDJs are for fags

Controllers are for hipsters and kids

Tunrtables are for the few dope DJs left who still play music with soul

and what happens when the labels you like stop issuing stuff on vinyl?

dont get me wrong, i still love buying vinyl, and still do fairly regularly. but to dismiss other media is fucking retarded imo.

When I worked at my local pub - and this is going back fucking years now - they would pay £180 to singers who would turn up on a Thursday night and sing cover versions of songs for a couple of hours from 9 to 11. None of these people were well known - they were just nobodies who could sing reasonably well and who had joined some agency that the pub used to book live music acts. Anyway, the point of me mentioning this is that it's a piss take that you have DJs going out and DJing for £20 or whatever, and often they don't even get a free bar and spend more than what they earn on drinks at the place they're DJing at.

I understand it in bars that are just filled with pissheads who want to hear the same shit they've been listening to on Radio 1 all week at work, but this doesn't just happen there.

the lack of quality control from nightclubs and promoters these days though is somewhat frightening.

Yeah, that's definitely another part of it.