people that created sounds

Chris

If i were more organised I'd say more words but I'm tired, for some reason I really want to get this out there...

who would you put down as cornerstones/originators to important sounds and movements?

Dilla - neo soul, 'the detroit sound' (later 'the la sound', etc)

Dre - g funk

Timbaland - r&b/dirty south fusion

Teddy Riley - new jack swing

Rodney Jerkins - mid-late 90s r&b... perhaps more of an extension of teddy riley's sound than a complete new sound, in the same way that post g funk dre wasn't 'groundbreaking', it was just... hm, perhaps it was. not sure.

DJ Premier - Boom bap (okay this one is probably highly contested because of the sheer amount of talent in the melting pot at the time so more of a cornerstone than originator here. who would you say?)

Kurtis Mantronik and Marley Marl need mentioning as well.

Also, I think it's important to make a distinction between someone who creates a sound and someone who makes a sound popular.

Also, I think it's important to make a distinction between someone who creates a sound and someone who makes a sound popular.

Yeah. Teddy Riley coined the phrase "new jack swing", but he didn't come up with that sound. I wouldn't really say that Dre was the first to do G funk either.

the 90s was definitely the decade of the "swing" in the production of Hiphop and R&B, DJ Premier and Pete Rock are most influential out of the golden era of rap. But there were many others who made that sound popular like Easy Mo Bee, K-Def, Marley Marl, Large Pro etc..after 96 Puff Daddy came in the spotlight and made hiphop look like a joke, even accepted in the fashion world.

Yes i forgot to mention Mantronix who was the king of the beats after Pumpkin RIP

• Like 1

Just out of interest, who would you say 'created' the early 80's electro sound?

Kraftwerk's computer world LP from 1981 was the foundation for the birth of electro funk

Arthur Baker was the first to use the TR-808 on a hiphop record so he was a pioneer but there were others who also started to work with drummachines like Material from the Celluloid label. The Celluloid label released a lot of electro hiphop in 82-84 and most well known is Grand Mixer DST and Fab Five Freddy who made the "Ahhhh this stuff is really Fresh" on a record called Change the Beat by B-side. B-side was the wife of Bill Laswell

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely. There's also the thing where someone might create the nucleus but someone else really evolves it into what it became...

Is it fair to say Georgio Moroder did a lot for electro?

Schooly D? First gangster rap record?

Well it was a rap that was obliquely about gangs and I've heard it called the first gangsta rap record but it doesn't sound like gangsta rap to me...doesn't really fell like it influenced a lot of other stereotypical gangsta rap if you know what I mean.

Yeah. Teddy Riley coined the phrase "new jack swing", but he didn't come up with that sound. I wouldn't really say that Dre was the first to do G funk either.

Wasnt Joe Cooley before NWA?

Schooly D? First gangster rap record?

Well it was a rap that was obliquely about gangs and I've heard it called the first gangsta rap record but it doesn't sound like gangsta rap to me...doesn't really fell like it influenced a lot of other stereotypical gangsta rap if you know what I mean.

Yeah, Ice-T's "Six in the Morning" really laid the blueprint for much of the (West Coast) gangster rap that followed. P.S.K. is more of a technicality than a huge influence... I suppose it could be argued that it sounds so different because he's from the East Coast or because it predated samplers in hip hop. Saying that P.S.K. never really sounded quite like any other track.

On a regional tip, Mac Dre - for Hyphy.

Also, there a lot of 90's producers who didn't exactly create a whole style but definitely had their own much copied styles... Large Prof, Q-Tip, Muggs and RZA spring to mind...

Actually RZA also claims to be the first to have used not only Kung Fu samples (obviously), but also the first to use pitched-up vocals samples in his beats. Might be true, although he claims to have invented DVS too.