looking for allround headphones

Solemn

what headphones would you recommend for allround purposes? I'm not really looking for dj headphones (at least not in particular) because i just want to use them at home for scratching, producing, fiddeling around with the mpc/synths and what have you..

So what springs to mind there?

creative ep 630. they are really cheap but i've been using them for almost a year now and didn't have any problems with them so far. just make sure you get them from a trustworthy shop because i read that there are some fake ones around..

Sennheiser HD25 II would be my suggestion at that price point.

I think they're a little pricier than 100 Euro... I know they're about $300 here in Oz

Also, they're more for DJing. The attenuation is very high and they'll tire your ears out quickly if you're just listening to music.

Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

These really are great cans, but they're a bit above your price point unless you can find a deal. the M35s are really cheap (less than £40) and they're excellent for the price too. I tend to recommend Sennheiser all the time, but the M35 is a much more compact look than the HD280, which would be my other choice. The HD280 has a replaceable cable though (that's another issue with the M50 as well as the M35).

One thing I would really suggest, though, is that you invest a bit if you're thinking about spending £100. I have had the Sennheiser HD580 precision for almost 14 years and they are absolutely amazing headphones, but they're long since discontinued. When I got them in 98/99 they were being phased out and I got them for £90, down from £200. You can still sometimes find them new, but more likely second hand, for about £110. The problem is the velour padding isn't really something I'd want to have on a second hand item. I *think* the upper end of the HD range is now the 600, 650, and 680, and between those (which are all amazing, the 580 I have, which are about knackered now to be fair, is essentially the 600 with a different build quality) and the lower end Senns that end in 0 have all been replaced with ones that end in 5 for standard and 8 for luxury.

I know this sounds super convoluted! Take a look at the Sennheiser HD598, though - I haven't actually listened to them but they look like they're even better built than mine - and mine are the most comfortable cans I've ever, ever used - and I think they're the ones that replaced mine in the scheme of things. The best thing about high end Sennheisers vs Audio Technica are the velour fittings (Beyer Dynamic do some great ones too, but they cost about the same as Senns and they don't sound as good to my ears) and the fact that everything's replaceable.

The 595 is cheaper if the 598 is out of your range btw.