short old skooling

chile

Dope chile! Whatever style you turn your hand to, you do it so well.

IMHO this is one of the best hip hop beats ever - you know the old Piklz scratch practice tape where Q and Shortkut go at this beat for like 20-25 mins?

thanks :) nah i dont think i heard that. is it on youtube? yeah i love this beat

And for bonus points - who can tell me who did the cuts on the end of the original Rasco track?

i thought the cuts werent that good when i first heard that track in 97..the end of Dr Octagon's Blue flowers is still pretty nice, maybe one of the dopest scratch outros ever recorded in hiphop history..wish Qbert did more collabos with MCs and producers cause his beats straight up suck imo..he cant produce shit but he a fucking dope DJ.

And for bonus points - who can tell me who did the cuts on the end of the original Rasco track?

i thought the cuts werent that good when i first heard that track in 97..the end of Dr Octagon's Blue flowers is still pretty nice, maybe one of the dopest scratch outros ever recorded in hiphop history..wish Qbert did more collabos with MCs and producers cause his beats straight up suck imo..he cant produce shit but he a fucking dope DJ.

Yeah, they're not D's finest cuts by any means - I was just being nerdy and wanted to point out this track's place in the history of turntablism.

As for the Dr Octagon album... what a fucking album. I've been an ardent hip hop fan since the 80s, but around '94ish there was so much formulaic and crossover shit coming out that I lost interest for a year or two (missing some of the good stuff that came out at this time too admittedly), but then the Dr Octagon LP came out, blew me away and got me back into hip hop forever more.

I think that one of the biggest lows of Qbert's career is that he didn't do more cuts on albums like this. Apart from being to technically advanced for the time, he was just so funky and musical with all of his cuts on this LP (particularly Blue Flowers, Visit to the Gynaecologist and Bear Witness - which as a straight scratch track still hasn't been bettered IMO). I appreciate where he went with his career and why, but for me personally, I can't get enough of 96/97 era Qbert... this album, Camelbobsledrace, Run The Line, all that stuff.

Unassister remix is dope. Is it a peanut butter wolf beat ?

Bear witness was one of the first records i bought. That is an immense track. I think then next year camel bob sledge ride came out and i listened to it non stop. Pumpkin squeeze was also dope. I wish q had followed up with more stuff like that. His projects after that were all dope still, just a different direction, wave twisters must have taken ages.

Can't find it on youtube - the whole practice tape was called "Zorlanfenfu". It's just a whole tape of Qbert and Shortkut practicing over a few different looped beats, from Jan '97.

If nobody else here can find a digital copy I could transfer my tape sometime?

http://www.mediafire.com/?ahndkbcb73ionh3