Numark Suck Update

ericuk

As long as you're getting one of the newer revisions of the TTX, you'll be fine. I got the very first version they released back in '03, and one of the IC control chips burnt out within a year. End result was that the lights would all come on, etc, but the platter wouldn't spin. This was because the heat-sink they had was too small, and it basically overheated and fried the chip. The later revisions had air vents put into the body of the turntable, and had a better heat-sink design. Not sure how these have stood the test of time tbh. Apparently the IC chip is a cheap fix, but you have to have the skills to de-solder the old one and solder the new one in place. It's a shame really, because the TTX is quite a nice table.

*EDIT*

I'm sure you've already seen this article, but just in case...

http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/ttx.php

I got them when they were just out and soon after one died. Convinced numark to fix it. One of them died a few years later and I retired the decks. I then read about the famous IC chip. Repaired it and had a good run, before it died. Then the other one died. My croatian friend brought one on ebay. It was DOA. I brought a CDX. It died. Seen a whole bunch of numark mixers break too.

The sad thing is, like a crack head in need of a fix, I'm considering buying some tt500's or an X2.

I like numark gear I really do, but I've never killed a pair of technics or a vestax mixer. I'd love to buy some STR*150's but they is out of my price range.

Guest rasteri

In the old TTX1s, the motor control IC tends to go, and it's an easy replacement. In the newer ones, the power transistors and current sense resistor are generally the culprits, and they're a harder replacement. TBH I think I'd rather have the older ones...