I have an idea, please contribute

Guest Mike Reezy

Guest Mike Reezy

So, I have friends that dont know how to use computers or dont have internet or whatever. I would like to make a simple assortment of some information that would be very beneficial to them, kind of like a common ground, shit is hard for people that dont have any influence.\

anyways, Im making an audio version of 'the ever' so you could listen to it in your car or in a cd player or whatever, it would describe the kutt, then play the audio sample. You could put iton repeat to practice it or whatever

What else should I send them? I want to send some turntable transcription shits too, and of course the explanation for that shit, I dont know where to find any of that, I think I saw a kid made a pretty decent opne, but I was unsure as to how correct it was.

Any ideas as to what would be good? So far itll be the ever in audio and printed form, some kutt transcriptions (havent got them yett)

Guest Mike Reezy
How to connect your decks to your PC and record maybe? Different software you can use for multi-tracking, burning CDs etc.?

Good one man, Ill include that info as well as diagrams, Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and all the loops+loop players

Note this may be a 2cd thing

Good werk Sig

This could be like a universal skratch package shit

oh yeah + nero

Edited by Mike Reezy

very cool idea.

i wouldnt suggest transcripts unless these newbies are really determined and eager about learning and have some waht of a musical background. i honestly think skratch transcripts are useless because they do not define a certain note or how long its held down, characters of the note being played. all it does is draw you stupid stick figures in zig zags and cut it up and down and quite frankly, who in their right state of mind would sit there and stare at that stuff and try to read it at the same time applying it into record manipulation and fader movement.......... UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not me thats for sure. skratching is WAy too fast to read notes, well i guess it really depends then huh? if youre skratching slow i think that would be cool.... some basic ones would be cool to throw in but i think it would be alot easier to learn by ear. are you going to be selling these audio tapes or cds or whatever? do you think you could make a DVD as well since there are already like 18 out there...... you should make a dvd but different than all of them some how or another...... you know what i liked about q's dvd, the seessioning on vol 2, do that but with better beats.........

"who in their right state of mind would sit there and stare at that stuff and try to read it at the same time applying it into record manipulation and fader movement"

I would!

http://www.ttmethod.com

^^^^Thats what you need right thurr^^^^^

Guest Mike Reezy

I would too, l;ike you said Tyra, skratching is too fast, no way I can auially comprehend all of it, so unless you wanna do every skratch you can do for me as slow as you can, Ill stick to the transcriptions they tell you how to do each kutt exactly.

I dont see how you could fault them? TTtranscription is great for idiots like me with no musical talent.

And I am basically thinking of making this for my computer illiterate friends in kansas, they have no influences at all.

PS OMG - BIGUPS TO GABRIEL! I havent ever seen that site yo!

PEEP THIS TYRA

Edited by Mike Reezy

I think it would take far too long to learn that shit, plus scratches are still open to interpretation. Try writing down a complicated piece like Dee's old StretchedAnimalSkinDrum file with all sorts of double time true fades and shit. By the time someone comprehended it, they'd have been better off learning without it.

DJs have managed for years without a method of putting scratches down on paper and I really see no point in it. It's been proven many times that DJs can perform in groups and perform complex routines and songs without writing anything down. What would you do with it?

If I went to see a live performance of Phantazmagorea for example, I wouldn't want D-Styles to perform the solos EXACTLY as he did on the album. Anyone who wants to copy something as a learning tool can do it by listening to audio which is worth 1,000 times what those cryptic symbols written on bits of paper are.

i think thers noting wrong with a little transcription here and there, it wont encompass all of scratching but it will help people understand the basic underlying concepts.. some people learn better through hearing something, some through reading/seeing something, and some by just plain doing something..

Guest Mike Reezy
I think it would take far too long to learn that shit, plus scratches are still open to interpretation. Try writing down a complicated piece like Dee's old StretchedAnimalSkinDrum file with all sorts of double time true fades and shit. By the time someone comprehended it, they'd have been better off learning without it.

DJs have managed for years without a method of putting scratches down on paper and I really see no point in it. It's been proven many times that DJs can perform in groups and perform complex routines and songs without writing anything down. What would you do with it?

If I went to see a live performance of Phantazmagorea for example, I wouldn't want D-Styles to perform the solos EXACTLY as he did on the album. Anyone who wants to copy something as a learning tool can do it by listening to audio which is worth 1,000 times what those cryptic symbols written on bits of paper are.

I feel very different, the mood I get from live performances is, like it is a test, to see how close to the studio production they can get with no retakes.

They obvioussly made the studio take exactly how they wanted, and when they go on tour and do shows, they are (for the most part) trying to emulate that, so if D did the kutts exactly how he did them on the album, I would be very impressed, not to mention pleased.

maybe TTM isnt good for u musical kats, but im tone def, that shit help me alot, its the next best thing to having my good friend who can do those kutts in person teaching me how to do it.

When I want to learn a kutt I will be like ,"yop do that again but as slow as you can do it" well on paper is about as slow as it gets

For me its more of a learning tool, a way to convey skratches without having to do them on a table or having to use your mouth to make the sounds (that gets old quick)

Its also good for documentation, not neccesarily always for reproduction of the skratches.

I think 'the ever' could be improved upon bigtime if it had TTranscription next to each of the skratches, and some of the wording sucks a nutt also.

It is mad tedious, but seeing the quicktime file of the TT to DXTs shit, is inspiring (even tho its off a bit by timing)

I feel very different, the mood I get from live performances is, like it is a test, to see how close to the studio production they can get with no retakes.

They obvioussly made the studio take exactly how they wanted, and when they go on tour and do shows, they are (for the most part) trying to emulate that, so if D did the kutts exactly how he did them on the album, I would be very impressed, not to mention pleased.

Mike....if they perform it EXACTLY like they do on the album at their live show....why not just sit home and listen to it on cd/wax???

When I go to a show I want something different, Like on John Wayne on acid...I've seen that on vid like 3 different times and the solo had some aspects similar but its the differences that make the performance interesting and original.

What's the fun of staying within borders just to mimick what you've already done?

Anyhow....transcription in general is ok to explain technique if you REEALLLY nedd to but I think people try to look for all these ways to learn other than just plain old practicingand developing their own sound.

Like everyone wants equipment or websites to help them do shit they can't already do.....not to sound bitter or anything but I've been on the decks since 1992 just mixing and seriously cuttin since 96 more or less and asides from the odd video or battle I've been to I am self taught....nobody sat me down and broke shit down for me. Scratching is about feeling not about dry technique....that's why so many dj's sound boring on the cut...no personailty just mimickry or cut & dry technique.

People want transcription? How bout going back and doing research and just LISTENING to the dope dj's who made who we are today....Premo, Dj Scratch, Supreme, etc???

I learned a hell of alot more from listening than I did from reading someones intrepetation of a cut.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Real-Izm

any transcription that attempts to explain a sk©(q)ratch for the DJ, shouldnt be meant to hold a full song.

the idea behind it *should* be one of showing how an individual skratch is done, not a full blown album or songs.

if i wanted to know how to do a flare and someone just said: do this blah blah, but then i looked at how it is done, whether by transcription or an image of a turntable platter with how the record movement goes, it certainly helps a great deal. different learning curves and ways for different people, the key is how the material is presented to the learner.

i would rather see it in person from someone else, but we dont all have that capability of cutting with other djs all the time.

who gives a crap if we have another how to DJ dvd? i certainly didnt care for a few that are out now simply because the information given was mostly inaccurate. maybe reezy will take the time to do it right and have a hit on his hands, who knows.

only way to find out is if you do it. brilliant ideas & concepts come from many failures.

Try writing down a complicated piece like Dee's old StretchedAnimalSkinDrum file with all sorts of double time true fades and shit. By the time someone comprehended it, they'd have been better off learning without it.

Musicians can create music without understanding notation. But the person who know notation as well as being able to play by "Ear" has one up on the musican who doesnt understand notation.

I personally love notation and wouldnt understand any scratches if it werent for this. I even visualize TTM as a cut sometimes. I am a visual learner.

Saying the the TTM is useles becuase some people can do without it is like say "Dont name scratches because people do the same techniques a different way. If we didnt have the word lare, how would we explain that technique to someone?

The more ways to interpret something, the better its suited for people with differnt natures of learning. Some learn through hearig, some reading and some doing. Its to each his own.

Anyone whos says TTM is useless is wrong for a fact! thats only becuase i know how much it helps me.

Mike....if they perform it EXACTLY like they do on the album at their live show....why not just sit home and listen to it on cd/wax???

1st Live performance for one have Overtones. Overtones are notes/tones that can only be heard through a human ear. The tones cannot correctly be record or reproduced by any format digital or analog.

2nd ENERGY! I can feel the energy being passed from audience to musican on a CD. When a musician is reall into his part, or when he is "zoning out" can only really be experienced/felt through a live performance. I like to see muscians perform exactly like a CD but I also like to hear live variations.

1st Live performance for one have Overtones. Overtones are notes/tones that can only be heard through a human ear. The tones cannot correctly be record or reproduced by any format digital or analog.

2nd ENERGY! I can feel the energy being passed from audience to musican on a CD. When a musician is reall into his part, or when he is "zoning out" can only really be experienced/felt through a live performance. I like to see muscians perform exactly like a CD but I also like to hear live variations.

I think you totally missed the point Gabe, that's why I said what I said....WHY listen to the cd @ home when you can hear it with energy and variation LIVE. LOL.