YouTube now the most popular method of listening to music for teens

Steve

At least in the US: -

According to Nielsen’s latest “Music 360” report, 48% of consumers in the U.S. still see radio as the dominant way to discover new music. For almost two-thirds of U.S. teenagers, however, Google’s YouTube is now a more important source of music than radio (54%), iTunes (53%) and CDs (50%).

Despite the growing popularity of Internet music services among teens, about a third of them still bought a CD in the last year and among all respondents, 55% said physical CDs are still a very or fairly good value.

““While younger listeners opt for technologically advanced methods , traditional methods of discovery like radio and word-of-mouth continue to be strong drivers,” said Nielsen SVP David Bakula in a canned statement today. “With so many ways to purchase, consume and discover great new music, it’s no wonder that the consumer continues to access and enjoy music in greater numbers.”

The survey also found that 54% of U.S. consumers now have music player apps on their smartphones, Given that virtually every smartphone now has a built-in music player, we can only assume that this number reflects third-party apps. Just under half of them have radio apps installed on their phones and 26% have music store apps.

Newer music services like Spotify and Pandora didn’t really register in Nielsen’s survey. Indeed, as the WSJ reports, cassette tapes (remember those?) are still more popular among adult than most online music services. Almost a tenth of U.S. adults apparently still listens to cassettes and 7% listen to Spotify.

Here are a few more data points from the survey:

More teens listen to music through YouTube than through any other source: -

64% of teens listen to music through YouTube

56% of teens listen to music on the radio

53% of teens listen to music through iTunes

50% of teens listen to music on CD

Positive recommendations from a friend are most likely to influence purchase decisions: -

54% are more likely to make a purchase based off a positive recommendation from a friend

25% are more likely to make a purchase based off a music blog/chat rooms

12% are more likely to make a purchase based off an endorsement from a brand

8% of all respondents share music on social networking sites, while 6% upload music.

Digital music is seen as a slightly better value than a physical CD: -

63% of purchasers identified digital albums as a very or fairly good value

61% identified digital tracks as a very or fairly good value

55% identified physical CDs as a very or fairly good value

Younger consumers who do buy digital tracks, are more likely to purchase new music immediately after its release: -

33% of teens purchased a digital track within one week of release

21% of persons 18+ purchased a digital track within one week of release

http://techcrunch.co...e-is-for-music/

I believe it. Speaking of which, post your playlist links! I got a few I put together...

MPC/Sampler playlist

Guilty Pleasures:

Funk:

Turntablism:

Music:

DAAAAAAAMN! I seriously never noticed that!

EDIT: That must be a european or Opera browser thing because I just checked and none of mine have that option.

DAAAAAAAMN! I seriously never noticed that!

EDIT: That must be a european or Opera browser thing because I just checked and none of mine have that option.

Yeah, no way would YouTube ever allow that, lol.

To do it in Opera, download this script and save it to a folder on your PC: -

http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/25105.user.js

Then go into Opera's settings and go to Advanced - Content - Javascript options... then at the bottom of that screen where it says "User Javascript folder", click the Choose button and browse to the folder where that script is saved.

Then you get the download button under every video.

If you're using a different browser, have a look here: -

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105

There are extensions for some browsers that do it too.

• Like 1

I like YouTube cos it offers music videos, not just music. Also, I like that it recommends stuff on the right hand side. For example, I've found lots of old 80s rap songs that I'd never heard just by clicking on related vids, so it's a great music discovery tool IMO.

I definitely prefer to own music on a physical format, but I still loves me some YouTubes.

maybe its just me then. altho i have noticed my lack of interest in music video is growing in the last few years or so. Probly since the more i've got into finding new/unsigned music.

having said that in the last 6 months im not even fussed about watching proper films or tv series anymore. even ones i was half way thru with, i just gave up on.

I'm with you on the movies and TV shows thing. I'm way more choosy than I used to be. That said, I did watch Battleship the other night which was utter shite, but a lot of times now if I think a film is shit I'll just bin it half way through.

I seek out new music all the time, but that usually always means music that is new to me, rather than music that has just come out. Every time I say "this is a good hip-hop album" about something released in 2012, what I really mean is "this is a good hip-hop album by 2012's standards, but by 80s/90s standards it's fucking shite" and the same with R&B/soul.

I like YouTube cos it offers music videos, not just music. Also, I like that it recommends stuff on the right hand side. For example, I've found lots of old 80s rap songs that I'd never heard just by clicking on related vids, so it's a great music discovery tool IMO.

I definitely prefer to own music on a physical format, but I still loves me some YouTubes.

You heard of www.blastro.com ?

i do listen to music on youtube alot, mostly at work. my playlists are embarrassing though. i have one called "songs" which is stuff ive stumbled upon or people have posted on my wall that i really like. i have one just for npr tiny desk performances i like. one called "lectures" which are basically terreance mckenna, neil degrasse tyson, and TED lectures. i have one called "docs" which is all full length documentaries ive stumbled upon. my favorites... which are mostly funny stuff and dj/live performance videos. and i have one called "hiphopsnotdead" which is supposed to be all newer hiphop i enjoy. i think theres only like four videos in that one though.